Friday, November 04, 2011

Weekends

Today, even though it is Friday, I am extra thankful for weekends.  (Of course, it could be a weekend day for me already... but... well, see this post for that particular rant...)

It has been a rough couple of months at work.  I'm sure I've mentioned before that there were some regulation changes that went into affect at the end of September, which meant not only a software release in August, but a lot of work the customers had to do to make sure they were compliant.  And a lot of them waited until the last minute... we even had several who waited until the 24th of October, just a week before the reporting deadline. We've been averaging well over double our normal call rates for the last 8 or 9 weeks.  And the best news is, we've managed to keep up with the influx, not let it overwhelm us like it so easily could have.  To say I'm beat would be an understatement.

But, there are weekends.  And I am so thankful for those two days off from "work".  Sure, I still have to be "Momma" and "wife", but that's "work" I choose, not work I have to do.  Well, maybe some if it falls into the "have to do" column, but that's only if we want clean clothes and food to eat for the week.  But even then it's not quite the chore that work at the office can be some days.

I try very hard to not have anything at all to do with work on the weekends.  Whatever projects I don't get done on Friday (and trust me, there are many of those these days!) can just wait until Monday morning.  I'm thankful to be able to spend time with my family and my friends.  To relax and unwind.  (Unfortunately, this week is one of the 5 or so weeks a year that I get to be "on call" for emergencies, so I can't quite leave work at work 100%...)

Even if it doesn't sound like all that relaxing a weekend.
Like this weekend.

This weekend is a "normal" Saturday in that Boo and I will drop Gak off at work, go do laundry, meet up with Kat and the gang at the bowling alley, go get some lunch and then hopefully take a boy-o home for a nap.  Which hopefully he'll take more than 5 minutes before we have to go pick up his daddy.  Then I'm not sure what we're doing in the afternoon.  Sunday there is a 5K that I signed up for a couple of weeks ago that was supposed to be last Sunday.  Except for that unexpected snow storm.  Originally Kat and I were going to go at my pace and let Steve run off at his (and Shelby at hers).  Well, Steve's not in the country at the moment, I'm not sure what Shelby's plans are and Kat will be home working on cleaning up after the storm.  I'm still going to go, it shouldn't take me too long after all.  I mean, I can walk 3 miles in about 45 minutes, and if I actually push myself to jog part of it, I should be done in less than that.  So, after that adventure I'll be picking up the boys (and a crockpot full of chili by request) and heading over to Kat's to help with the cleanup.  They had a bunch of trees come down and there's all kinds of mess that needs fixing.  Whatever the hurricane didn't destroy in August, the snow did a number on.  Then eventually we'll all go home, collapse and be ready for the work week.

Yep, that's my relaxing and recharging weekend I have ahead of me.  And I'm going to love just about every minute of it because I'm not stuck here in the office.  I'm thankful for weekends because I can get away, have a change of pace from the drudgery that can be my job.  I'm thankful it gives me the time to spend some quality time with my boys, and my friends and do things that I enjoy.

So, I'll take my hectic, crazy work week and put it on hold and enjoy my hectic, crazy weekend with my family and my friends.  Thank you weekends!

Peace to all and may you have something to look forward to.

No comments: