Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Siblings

Today I am thankful for my brother Jon and his wife Becca, who really is a sister of my heart.
I am so lucky to have such a great relationship with my brother.  I see so many people who don't get along with or don't even talk to their siblings.  Jon and I may go quite some time at times between flurries of email activity, but I still think we're pretty close.  We let time lapse because we're busy, not because we're angry with each other or fighting about something.  I know that whenever I need to, I can shoot Jon an email or give him a call and if he doesn't have the time right that second, he'll get back to me as soon as he can.

The whole reason that I'm thankful for Jon and Becca, and our relationship, today is because we've been exchanging a bunch of emails recently.  Some about big things, some about small things, but just good communication in general.  They may live on the opposite coast, but they are worried and want to be involved with the family life (both me and my family and our parents' lives) back here on the East Coast.

I'm thankful that I have such a healthy and smart sister who is always looking out for me.  And a healthy and smart brother who may think I'm crazy, but a good kind of crazy and has always been more of a big brother than a younger brother.  He spent a lot of time looking out for, and worrying about, me when we were in high school.  He's always been the more grounded one, I've always been the more emotional and hmm... flighty isn't the right word, but it's close.  Together, we made a pretty good team growing up.  And now I have Becca too!

And I can't forget my sister of my heart, Kat.  I'm thankful for her beating me upside the head from time to time when I need it, and being the solid foundation I've needed from time to time.  I hope I've been able to be there, to inject a little fun and silly into her life when needed.  Of course, I can't neglect my newest sister of my heart, Steph.  She may not have been part of the family for long, but I really couldn't, and don't want to, imagine my life without her, Rachel and Billy as big parts of it.

Everyone needs some kind of family to lean on.  I've been so blessed in the fact that not only do I have a pretty awesome pair of parents, but a brother I grew up with and get along so well with and that I've also found some sisters of my heart to share this life with.  We're not perfect by any stretch.  We sometimes argue a bit, or disagree or think the other one is completely off the deep end, but we love each other and I know I could never have gotten this far in life without them, any of them.

So, peace to all and may you have a sibling either by blood, by love or by both that you can depend on.

No comments: