Monday, November 28, 2011

Love

Tonight I realized I haven't given thanks for one very, very important person in my life.  I haven't yet in this challenge really given thanks for my dear, wonderful husband.
And I do need to thank him.  He puts up with so much from me.  Sure, there are times I want to strangle him or beat him upside the head with a frying pan, but I know darn right well I'm worse at times.  I know I'm not the easiest person to live with, but through it all he seems to just roll with it for the most part and rarely looses patience with me.  (And trust me, when he does, I truly do deserve it...)

So, other than putting up with my bull and my grumpiness and general bad attitude at times, why am I so thankful to have this man in my life?

Hmm.... let's see here.  Obviously I'm thankful he's in my life because he helped create our wonderful son Boo. That and he really is a great dad to our son.  I know there are times I want to bean him for some things, but really, he's done a great job being a dad.  Boo is happy and healthy (far healthier than some of my friends' and coworkers' kids seem to be...).  He's on a "normal" development track, whatever that means.  Sure, he knows who Gibs is from NCIS and can identify at least two if not the most recent three Doctors.  But, every kid has their quarks handed down to them from their parents.  I'm not only thankful for the father that he is, but that he's willing to be such a good dad and play such a big role staying home with our boy most mornings.  That takes a lot of patience and care, no matter who you are or what your gender.

I'm thankful that he reads as much as he does.  I may not always read the same things he does or find the same things fascinating, but the fact that he's as much, or more, of a bookworm than I am means that it's OK when I spend too much time with my nose in a book.  It means we have something to talk about.  It means he's willing to explore other points of view and other experiences.  It gives me hope that our son will be a bookworm too.  (I mean, more than he is.  He loves books, but he hasn't quite gotten into actually reading the words yet... that'll come.)

I'm thankful that he tolerates my crazy and actually encourages it more often than not.  I love that I can crack him up most days, even when he has no clue how I got from A to 5 in the leap of a single thought.  (Half the time I don't know either if that's any comfort...)  I'm thankful that we can have fun together and also that when times call for us to be serious, we can be serious.  We can talk, about just about anything.  Usually if there is something I can't talk to him about, it's because I'm just not ready to face it myself, not that I think he'll get mad, or not understand, or argue meanly with me about it.  He may not always agree with my point of view, but he's always willing to listen.  He also knows that there are times that no matter what he says, I'll still do it my way (even if it turns out he was right in the first place...).

So, yes, I'm thankful that I never totally lost contact with my Bear.  I'm glad that he never fully gave up on me.  I'm thankful that I was smart enough to invite him up to visit just over 7 years ago and that he moved up here that December.  I'm so thankful that he puts up with me and even enjoys my crazy life.

So, yes Bear, as embarrassing as this post is, every word is one that I believe with all my heart.  This is only a small part of why I'm so thankful for you.  I just can't find the right words to express what I really feel.  In many ways you are my better half, as I hope that I can be your better half as well.

Peace to all and may you find someone to share your life with who is as tolerant, patient and loving as my own Bear.

No comments: