Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Slow Cookers

Today I am so very thankful for my crockpot, aka slow cooker.  I know, I know, it's kinda silly, but truly, I am thankful for it.  Tuesdays have become quite hectic in the evenings.  I don't get out of work until 5, I pick up Boo by about 5:30 and have to get us (and usually Rachel) fed so I can pick up Gak at 6:30 or so and then get Rachel and I to Scouts by 7:00 or 7:10 so I can get there before the 7:15 meeting start.

Therefore, the crockpot has become my savior.  For the last few weeks I've either taken something out of the freezer that I'd done in the slow cooker weeks ago or, like today, throw something together that Gak can start before he leaves for work.  I mean, I could just boil a pot of water, throw in some pasta, add a jar of sauce and call it good, but that gets old fast.  This way, we can have a little variety and I can still cook somewhat healthy for my family.

I have no idea if tonight's dinner will be any good.  I half remembered a recipe I tried a few years ago that tasted pretty yummy.  I didn't have all the correct ingredients on hand, so I adjusted and made it up as I went along.  I'm calling it Thanksgiving preview.  I layered a couple of peeled and cut up sweet potatoes in the bottom and drizzled them with a little maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger.  On top of that went two seasoned boneless, skinless, turkey breast halves (about 2 lb I think) and on top of that went a couple of peeled and largely sliced apples with a little more maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon.  I think the original recipe called for either pork loin or pork chops and some other stuff as well.  We shall see.  It'll be dinner in one pot at any rate, and hopefully moist and delicious.

So, I'm thankful for my evening time saving device and am more than willing to make good use of it.  It simmers chili quite nicely and I've created some nice barbecue pork and beef marinara with just a nice cut of meat and some bottled sauce.  Next week I should have a little more time to prepare something yummy, but it will still be a bit of a rush.  (That is if the girls decide to meet next week, they may not...)  I'm looking forward to experimenting more with this tool.  I don't do chicken in it often because the time frame between when Gak puts the crock into the pot and turns it on and the time I get home is a little too long to keep it nice.  I'm hoping the turkey won't fall apart or dry out (in such a moist environment?!) too badly.

Well, I'd best get back to my actual work.  Just a quickie for today.

Peace to all and may everyone have a trick or two (and maybe an appliance) up their sleeves for making hectic dinner nights not so hectic.

P.S. Even though I said it Sunday, happy birthday Dad!  I love you so very much and am so very thankful your my dad.  You've seen me through a lot, and I appreciate it.  (See, two things to be thankful for today!)

No comments: