Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans

OK, so I started out November pretty strong in the posting thing and then fell asleep at the wheel again.
Sorry about that.
Last week was crazy busy at work (I think I mentioned that already).  And I had a lot of other stuff on my plate. This week's been crazy busy at work again, but thankfully, other than Monday I've remembered and been able to force myself to take a lunch and walk away from my desk.  I even got a walk in outside both yesterday and today.  Part of me is glad I got to take a lunch, but sometimes, I'm glad when I don't take a lunch, as there are days that it is just so very hard for me to get back on task after a break of an hour.  Today was almost one of those days.  Of course, I think my brain dribbling out my ear from the big honking project I'm working on, didn't help any.
I would be so much happier if the 3 or 4 HUGE projects I've got going on would be done so I could move on to, and close, the hundred (or so it seems) little things I've got going on.  I'm sure there are some customers out there that are feeling pretty neglected by me, but only because I've worked on about 4 different things all week.  Oh well, I try and keep them in the loop, but it just doesn't happen as well as I'd like some days.  One of the things I need to get better at.

Anyhow, today is Veteran's day.  Under our old corp, we actually got the day off.  That was nice, of course, but some how I felt like I hadn't earned it.  Oh well, this year it didn't matter because the new corp doesn't do a lot of holidays throughout the year, but instead does a week-long shutdown between Christmas and New Year's.  That's actually pretty nice and I think I'd rather have that.  Everyone tries to take off that week anyhow, and as much as I like the 3-day weekend, having an extra week off, especially once Boo gets to school and will have that week off anyhow, is nice.  Of course, any excuse to spend extra time with my family is a good one.

Anyhow, back to Veteran's day.  As a "thank you", Applebee's started doing a thing where vet's get to eat free (from a select menu).  I'd found out about it and mentioned it to Gak.  He mentioned to Scott, who was supposed to be going out with Steve and some others and well... before you know it, there was about 10 of us getting together for dinner.  Scott and his dad were there.  Steve, Shelby and her two kids were there.  Liz tagged along and there were the three of us.  Kat stopped by after we were done eating because she'd had a parent/teacher conference for Zoe this evening (quarterly progress report, Zoe made honor roll!).  Anyhow, I felt very outnumbered.  Other than the kids, Liz and I were the only two who hadn't served in the armed forces.  Which I think is great.  I love the fact that I know so many people who think this country is worth standing up for and serving.  I hope and pray every day that the people I know who are still active duty (or those in the reserves who may get called up) don't have to pay for our liberty with their lives.  I hate that the military is needed, but I'm thankful that we can still manage to have an all volunteer service.
Anyhow, just a rambling way to say thank you to everyone I know who's willing to put their life on the line so I can say what I want to say, wear the clothes I want to wear and have the job I want to have, without fear of being scooped up and put in jail for it.  Sure, there are problems in this country with the government at all levels and with some people in general.  Overall though, I think we've got it pretty good.  And I'm thankful for that.

I'm off to bed now, I've been up since 5.  Thankfully I don't have to get up quite so early (but I probably will anyhow) tomorrow.  Gak's working a full day, so I get to go in for 8 instead of 7.

Peace to all and may you remember that freedom isn't free and that we all must do our part and vote and thank those who are willing to stick their necks out for the rest of us.

No comments: