Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vacation

Today, as my week of vacation draws to a close, I realize exactly how thankful I am for vacation time.  I'm very thankful that I'm able to get away from my job for a few days, or a week and not have to worry about it.  Sure, I do worry about it a bit now and then when I think about all the work that's piling up for me, but most of the time I can ignore that.
I'm thankful that I was able to take some time and spend it with my family, and with myself.  I'm thankful that I was able to use my vacation time to recharge the batteries a bit.  And, maybe I don't really want to go back to the pile of work that's waiting for me, but I am thankful to be going back to work.  As much as I love my time away, I do need time away from home as well.  I just wish there was a bit better of a balance then I've got.

I also truly wish that my husband got paid vacation time.  We don't ask for much as far as benefits go from Mike.  We've got pretty good medical coverage from my job, and I've got a 401(k) going, which would be nice if Gak had one too, but we'll manage.  What would be nice would be a paid day off now and again.  Or even just Veteran's Day off and paid, since Gak is a vet after all.  He's been there 5 years (well, mostly, there was that 6-month stint he did at GameStop).  I'm not sure when his last raise was and anywhere else, he'd be getting at least some kind of vacation or paid sick time.  Nope, not here.  I know Gak tries not to complain about it much, and I don't either.  The best part about his job is that it really is a great schedule for us, but other than that... well... the shine's worn off a good while back.

But, I am thankful for my vacation time and my ability to use it as I see fit.

Peace to all and may you get some kind of break now and again.

No comments: