Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Time

Today I'm thankful for time.  I know, I know, it's quite abstract, but there you go.  I'm thankful for the time I get to spend with my amazing family, but I'm also thankful for the time I get to myself.  I'm thankful that I have vacation time at my job, and a good amount of it for having been there 10 years now, that allows me to spend more waking hours with my family.  I've really enjoyed having the last 3 days off from work.  Sure, they've been busier than my work days, but almost all of it was busy of my own choosing, and spending a good portion of it with my boys and with friends.

Today was a very busy day, and a good several hours were for me.  Or at least they were supposed to be, but of course since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, it was really about others, as in getting everything ready.  We purposefully left Boo in daycare today.  I used to feel horribly guilty about even thinking of sending him to daycare when I was on vacation, but I've come to realize that every parent needs a break.  And, as much as I love my son, there are just some things you can't get done with a high energy toddler under foot.  For me, that means errands like clothes shopping or going to 100 different places or trying to clean a bit or cook a bit.
Today Gak and I dropped our boy off at daycare and then went out to lunch together.  It was so nice to have a little quiet time just the two of us and not have to worry about a boy.  Yes, we get time after he goes to bed every night, but it's not quite the same, since he's there, just not awake.  After lunch we ran to Target for me to return something and (please don't faint...) got the last of the holiday gifts for the nieces and nephews.  (Yeah, I know, I know... I actually do this on purpose so I don't have to deal with malls etc between today and the week after New Year's...)  We also stopped in at the ToysRUs Express that's over there and decided on Boo's "big" gift this year.  Then I dropped Gak at work.  I went to Jo-Ann's to pick up some stuff and then went to Wal-Mart (which I still don't like and try and avoid) because I couldn't find what I wanted at Target for a few things and I was able to find there.  Then it was home to put in the new car seat (which Boo loves) and make cookies for goody bags.  I was also going to make a lemon pie, but I had evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed.  Oops.  By the time I got the cookies made, it was time to get Boo.
There were a few more errands and then back home to make that pie.  Boo wanted to help, which was great!  He did a very good job of beating the eggs.  He stirred nicely and got them fairly well mixed up, and I just had to finish them off a little.  He didn't like trying to stir the milk in, so I took over.  After the pie was done it was time to pick up Poppa.  Gee, where did the day go?
So, yes, I'm very thankful for the time I get to spend with my family as well as the time I get to myself to get "me" things done.

Peace to all and may you find a time balance.

No comments: