Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sleep

Today I'm thankful for sleep.  Or, should I say, I'd be thankful for sleep if I got more of it.  I know you've seen my posts about my sleep issues in the past.  Unfortunately, right now, I'm not the problem.  The problem is a 2.5 year old little boy.  And no, he's not really a problem, but he hasn't been making my sleep any easier.
About 95% of the time he sleeps through the night with no problems and goes to bed fairly easily as well.  Unfortunately, recently he's taken to waking up at 2:00 in the morning or there abouts and crawling into our bed, after barging into our room, waking us by the door slamming against the wall.  Of course, he always comes to my side of the bed.  I fluctuate between letting him crawl in for a few and then taking him back to his bed and taking him back right then and lying down with him for a few until he goes back to sleep.
Usually he'll do this once or twice a week. Except the last 3 days or so it's been every night.  And last night it was at both 2:30 or so and again at 5.  Unfortunately, he didn't go back to sleep at 5.  And since Gak has morning boy duties, it's only fair that I get up with him overnight and early.  Usually early isn't an issue as I'm up already getting ready for work.  But, I've actually managed to sleep in a bit this week, and have enjoyed that thought.
So, getting up at 5 was not a happy thought for me.  And I was tired.  And cranky.  And Boo is two years old and all that goes with it.  So, yeah.  It was a rough morning.  He was very good at pushing buttons and just being a whiny boy and a little off.  So, of course this means I have to come up with ways to distract him.  Thankfully it's Saturday and Zoe was bowling.  And we had our normal lunch with Kat and Zoe, and Scott was there too today.  (Billy and the rest weren't there as Billy and Rachel are in Florida with their dad, his girlfriend, their son and the girlfriend's parents.... a sore subject really...)  Then he came home and crashed, which allowed me to semi crash in front of WAL-E with my yarn.
So, of course tonight he was bouncing off the walls, so we go over to Kat's so he can run around with Zoe all he wants and we won't piss off the downstairs neighbor.  Don't get me wrong, she's a good neighbor and she never actually complains, but she complains.  And at 97 she really doesn't need a toddler running and jumping around on her head all evening.  Of course, as soon as we get there, he's calm and quiet.  Go figure.
But, it was an enjoyable evening.  We big people watched Gran Torino, as Gak and I hadn't seen it.  Some parts reminded me so much of Kat's dad, it's beyond funny.  It was an excellent movie, I wish I'd had a chance to see it sooner.

Anyhow, the boy is now asleep in his bed, and hopefully I will be too before too long.  Here's hoping he stays asleep in his bed all night and lets me get up at 6 and have some quiet time to myself before the rest of the apartment stirs.

Peace to all and may your sleep be peaceful and plentiful as well.

No comments: