Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thankful

I think I'm going to try and take a little time each day the next few weeks and write at least a few sentences about something I'm thankful or grateful for.  I mean, that is what the holiday next week is all about isn't it? Being thankful for surviving another year, with another harvest and having friends and family and a community?
Well, the biggest thing I'm thankful for right now are my two boys.
I know I've said it before, but I can never say it enough.  I am so very thankful to have two such wonderful guys in my life.  And to think that I was at least partially responsible for the genetics that brought one of them into the world, still astounds me.
My husband is a wonderful man.  He does his best to take care of me and to take care of Boo.  If there's one fatal flaw to him, it would be that he just can't see how wonderful he really is to us, how special he really is.  I try and tell him often that he means the world to me and that even if he doesn't think so, I know he goes above and beyond what is expected or required.  He's always treated me, and just about everyone that I can think of, with respect.  Sure, there are days when he really wants to tell customers (or me) where to go and how to get there.  Just about every time, he doesn't though.  He could be mean or rude to these people, but he tries his best to be polite and help resolve whatever it is that's within his realm that's making them upset or cranky or just plain rude themselves.  And most of the time if he can't help them, he can let their insults and rudeness roll off his back.  It may collect in his shoes and make him cranky after a while, but it takes a bit.
I know he wishes he could do more for us.  But I'm not really sure he could.  I mean, yes, he could have a higher paying job and contribute more financially, but there is so much more to life than that.  He takes care of Boo, and of me, in ways that he never could if he worked a more traditional job.  (I totally understand him wanting a more "normal" job at times though.  There are days that I really believe he gets the raw end of the deal working where he is.)
Gak's a wonderful poppa to our boy and willingly spends so much time with him.  And he's a pretty awesome husband too.  He gives me the space I need when I need it, but is there for me physically, mentally and emotionally when I need him to be.  Sure, I may "lead" this family more than he does, but he has a very strong, equal say in things.  I value his point of view, it helps keep me balanced.

And my son.  How could I not be thankful for my wonderful little boy?  Some days he really is what makes my world go 'round.  He truly is a miracle.  Just the mere fact that he was conceived mere weeks after I lost the first pregnancy is a miracle.  Especially considering it took a year to conceive the first one we lost.
But that's only a small part of why I'm thankful for him.
I'm thankful because as much as I teach him things, he teaches me.  He's reminded me to play on such a simple and basic level.  He's taught me to look at the simple things and see the universe in them.  He's taught me patience and humility and truly about unconditional love.  There is nothing I wouldn't do for my Bubsie-Boo.
He is such a wonderful little boy.  Somehow Gak and I have managed to teach him to be polite at least most of the time.  And usually when he forgets his "please" or "thank you" or gets demanding and whiney it's because he's tired, or not feeling well or in some other way just plain old out of sorts.  I understand this.  I get this way too.  But the hugs and the snuggles and the laughter make up for it a million fold.
He's so adorable both in looks and attitude.  He's such a happy little guy most of the time that you can't help but be happy with him around.  He's a huge flirt.  Just over the weekend he's actually started addressing people by their names.  I mean, he's known who people are for ages and if you asked him who someone was, he'd say their name.  But for example, yesterday when we were at Kat's, Any walked in and he said "Uncle Andy!  Hi!  Follow me!"  Before, you would have only gotten "Follow me!" or maybe "Uncle Andy!", but not a whole conversational turn or even a real sentence, just a verb/noun pairing.
Gak is my rock and my support, Boo is my light at the end of the tunnel that is the work day.  They both mean the world to me and help keep me rooted and together.
I love you two, and am so very, very thankful to a part of your lives.

Peace to all and may you have someone to be thankful for.

No comments: