Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jobs

I know, I know, I complain a lot about my job.  But, usually I'm just complaining about small things.  I really, truly am thankful to have a job, and to be making as good money as I am.  Sure, I'd love a bigger pay check, who wouldn't?  Everyone I know wishes they had just a bit more, not a lot more, but just a bit would make life that much easier.
And, they're right.  But, one of my favorite fortune cookies I got a few years ago now was "If you're not happy with what you've got, how can you be happy with more?"  Which is a very true statement.  And I'm very happy with what I've got.  I've got a good job that I've been at for 10 years now.  It pays me well enough that we're struggling only because of bad decisions, not because we don't earn enough in the first place.  It continues to hold challenges even after 10 years and there's always something new to learn.  Yes, I may be bored or tired of it some days and totally stressed out others, but in reality, I really don't know what I'd be doing if I wasn't doing this.
Sure, I'd like to be actually using the degree I went to school for, but at this point in my life, what I learned then has mostly left my brain and melted into a puddle on the floor from disuse.  There are days I wish I'd stayed at the lab, or gone on for my masters or applied for the DEP or the parks system or something.  But then I realize that what I've got is pretty darn good.
I'm thankful that my honey has a job.  Sure, we both wish he was earning more, or had more hours or had more (any) benefits such as paid vacation or paid holidays.  Gak's feeling a little strangled and antsy with his job, and that's OK.  I don't blame him.  It's been 5 years and no real change.  There's not much new or exciting for him.  I totally get that.  He also wishes he contributed more financially to the family, and I can understand that too.  (But, a part of me likes him having the job he has, because it allows us to have Boo in day care only half days, which saves us a good $400 a month or more.  And that he can walk to work, so we don't have to have a second car... but it really comes down to how he feels about his job, not me.)

I'm also thankful that all of my close friends (save Joan) are employed right now.  Yes, Mom and Dad's business is struggling mightily, but they're still open.  Jon just got a great new job and Becca is at least one step closer to full certification.  Both of my cousins and their spouses have work.  My friend Michael from college just got what sounds to be a great new opportunity in MN and a chance for him and Chelsea to really live on their own, have their own lives.  This truly is a rarity in this economy, and for that I'm thankful.

So, peace to all and may you find something that stimulates you and pays you well enough, even if it isn't your dream job.

Peace to all and may

No comments: