Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Body

Today I am thankful for my body and my health today.
I know that sounds kind of silly, but my body has been through a lot in the past year.  I'm down about 60 lb from a year ago.  That in and of itself is HUGE.  I have no idea how I lived carrying all that weight around.  I get tired just trying to carry Boo around, and he's not quite 30 lb!  But that's only part of it.
I'm thankful that my health issues are small.  Sure, I've got my asthma and allergies to deal with from time to time, but over all, they haven't given me issues in quite some time.  Yes, I've been dealing with sleep issues for years, but at this stage of the game, they seem manageable for the moment.  Yes, I just lost a pregnancy, but I really don't think it was my fault, there was something wrong from the start.
It could be so much worse, it really could.  I could have to fight something as monumental as my friends Ellen, Deb or Ron from work have.  I could have a hundred other little things wrong with me that could make live miserable.  As is, I have my health and for that I am thankful.

I say this because I had my water aerobics class this evening.  And I realized as I was pushing myself through the exercises exactly how much I've improved over the last 6 months.  It really is amazing.  And this is just from one evening a week.  I am so much stronger and more fit.  I take the stairs without thinking about it, or getting winded.  I can, and sometimes actually do, walk two laps around the 1-mile loop at work, without thinking too much about it and at a fairly good clip too.  When I started, it was all I could do to get through 1 at a decent pace.  So, I'm thankful that I've been able to give my body a new, healthy shape.  I know my dear, sweet husband appreciates it, he tells me so.  I know he's always loved me, no matter what my shape, but, yes, I do like the fact he likes my shape.  No, this isn't said in a "man pleasing, women are inferior and exist to serve men" kind of way.  Pssht.  Anyone who knows me knows that's about as far from the truth as you can get.  No, I like the fact that Gak appreciates the work I've done because it makes him happy and because I love him, I want him to be happy.  I am happy with my progress, if only because I do have more energy.  It didn't happen over night and I really don't think about it until I do something like class tonight that I never would have dreamed of getting through even 6 months ago.  I hope to have good health and a more fit body for a long, long time to come.

Peace to all and may you have good health.

No comments: