Monday, June 16, 2008


Today was a rough day. It started at 3am.
I've posted before how Boo has been letting us catch a couple of 3-4 hour naps at night most of the last several nights. Well, that all changed last night. And not for the better.
The evening started off well, he went down fairly early and slept until about 11 or so. He was a little fussy, but not too bad. He'd had a bit of a fussy time earlier in the evening, but, like I said, he went to sleep fairly early after a good feeding.
Then came his 3am feeding.
I think the howling lasted until 4 or 4:30. He only at a few gulps at a shot and then would start howling again. There was no consoling the little guy, no matter what. He eventually settled and fell back asleep.
For about an hour.
After about 20 minutes of trying to feed and calm, he finally settles.
For about 45 minutes to an hour.
Welcome to Boo's first total and complete meltdown.
Keep this up until about 10:30 or 11 am when he finally settles down for about a two hour nap. Then continue grousing every time Momma moves until about 3:00 when he finally, finally, settles in for a real nap. And so do I. Of course, I have my own little meltdown at this point. I'm totally exhausted and totally out of tricks to try and get Boo to settle, or even eat something.
Of course, it didn't help that the apartment is a total disaster and Mom was here and a friend of hers who does cleaning on the side was coming over to get the place into good shape for Gak's mom to arrive on Saturday. (Don't get me started on that whole issue... I'm both looking forward to and dreading her visit...)
I will be the first to admit that I'm a lousy housekeeper. There is always a certain level of entropy in my life, sometimes more, occasionally less. (Actually, too neat of a place puts me on edge... I feel like I can't touch anything or even breathe funny...) I was very glad that Mom's friend offered to come up and clean. But when she got here, between being exhausted and everything else, I just couldn't help feeling overwhelmed and embarrassed and like a failure for how bad the place was. Admittedly, some of the issues in the bathroom and kitchen I'd inherited with the apartment (and thanks to the very hard water we have around here...). But still, I could have, should have, taken much better care of it all before this. It's not like we just moved in, we've been here for two years.
So, the "failure" to get Boo to settle and the failure of keeping the apartment even half decent, I had my own mini-meltdown... I was much better after about an hour or so of a snooze.
Anyhow, Boo is finally asleep again and will hopefully be that way until 11 or so and the house looks great. (I'm afraid to touch anything between now and Saturday... or to let Gak touch anything either...)
I'm going to call this post finished and either get a little sleep myself or play with yarn until my eyes close (just in time for Boo to wake up I'm guessing...).
Peace to all and may you not have any meltdowns in your life.

No comments: