Monday, May 05, 2008

Paint and Pondering

Well, the room is painted. The landlady's husband will be up again tomorrow evening to do some final cleanup, then I can spend the evening putting things away! It looks great! I promise to get pictures and post them as soon as everything is put together.
I guess what really prompted this is I was perusing some of the local headlines. There are some days that I really don't like living in this commonwealth. Apparently there's a bill in the PA senate to amend the commonwealth's constitution to ban homosexual marriage. Here's a link to the headline.
I've known several gays and lesbians in my life. I worked closely with several lesbians when I was a camp councilor. I went to school with and was friends with several gay men and lesbians in college. I was so happy that my cousin found the woman of her dreams and was glad to be able to make it to their wedding. Who cares who you love? I've found my soul-mate. He's a wonderful man and I couldn't ask for better. So my cousin loves another woman. So what? Rae and Kami are two of the happiest people I've met for a while. It is so obvious that they love each other with every fiber of their being. Just because they're two women does that mean their love is any less real than my love for Gak? Does it mean that somehow they're not "capable" of devoting themselves totally to each other and creating a life together? I doubt it.
Proponents of the PA bill say that it'll "protect" marriage between men and women but won't take away any rights of homosexuals. What part of pure and simple hosehockey aren't they understanding?! There are real advantages of being legally married. I mean, you get a break on your taxes for one thing. It also makes it that much easier for me to cover Gak with my health insurance. And since when has "traditional" marriage been in danger? What does that mean anyhow?
Bah. All this does is make me cranky. And since when have I had so much to say about the state of the world around me and "sensitive" ideas?
And I was in a good mood because the room is finally painted and almost ready for Boo.
I think I'm going to go curl up with my book now and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist.
Peace to all and may you find someone to share your heart and soul with, no matter who they are.

No comments: