Friday, May 23, 2008

Doomed!

Ok. We're doomed. I'm sending lambs to the slaughter. It's going to be a blood bath and there's nothing I can do about it.
I just got done "training the trainer" for the two guys I'm sending out over the next two weeks. It was more like teach them the information and hope they absorbed enough to pass it on. I was teaching them stuff about the software they should have known well over a year ago. (This just goes to prove my thought that the knowledge base in this department has gone through the floor!) I honestly don't know how much use it was. It wasn't a good thing. I should have spent an hour or so going over logistics and how to conduct the training session itself with maybe a quick tour of the topics they're to cover. Instead, It was a fast-paced training session.
I'm trying not to panic, but it isn't going to be pretty.
I'm also trying not to panic about everything that's not going to get done before I leave. I haven't touched a service request in over 2 weeks. I'm supposed to turn over one thing to one of the guys who is leaving next week to train for me. I hope that I've made enough notes in the calls for it to make sense. I've got at least one, if not more, training manual that needs a major overhaul before I leave. I was supposed to do that today but ended up in meetings of various types all day. I've got to coordinate a trip out here late next month by a customer that got dumped into my lap by a sales guy. I've got to quote and schedule 4 training sessions for the book that has to be re-written for the months of June and July. I have no one to spare in July. Especially since it is regulatory training that they're after.
Yep, I'm panicking.
No, there's not much I can do other than try and get the most urgent stuff done. I just hope that too many things don't fall through the cracks while I'm gone and leave me with an even bigger mess when I get back. Oh well. I'll deal with that then.
(Of course, it doesn't help that I'm my own worst critic... I'm sure everything I've done is acceptable or even good all things considered, but I just don't see it.)

Tonight should be good though. We've got tickets to the 7:30 showing of Indiana Jones with two other couples. I'm looking forward to that and the three day weekend. (Even though I plan on spending some time trying to get work done over the weekend... I really will this time!)

Well, I'm done panicking. I've got to try to get a few things done before I leave at 5. Wish me luck.
Peace to all and may you not be overwhelmed by lack of knowledge.

No comments: