Saturday, April 26, 2008

Week Wrapup

Well, it has been a long week. I tried to get a post in yesterday at lunch, but got sidetracked by a work call I'd been waiting for.
Let's see... where to start....
Tuesday was the worst day of the week, it really did get better from there.
I did get a lot of things accomplished this week at work. It still amazes me how little some of the other people have picked up. I mean, I don't expect the two newest to be experts at anything, but I expect the other two newer people to have a bit more of a clue than they do. It is almost as if they don't want to know. Or like they can learn how to do a set of tasks, but can't apply that knowledge to the larger scheme of things. I'm not sure. I do know it's getting a bit frustrating for me. After this month Bill will mostly, if not totally, be out of the department. That scares me. Then it leaves me and Mike as the only two with a real grasp on the reports and a third who can muddle through specific tasks, if we're lucky. At one point in time, we had four people out of the eight in the group who were competent to very proficient with these regulatory things. Now, it looks like I'm probably the one with the most knowledge in the group. That scares me.
Anyhow... that was work. I did inherit a new "best friend" customer which will be trying, but other than that, it's just been trying to get this month wrapped up and everyone able to submit.
I'm not sure if I posted about it before, but one of Gak's long-time steady customers at the UPS store is a rep for Medela. A few weeks back she dropped off well over $100 worth of nursing supplies. My jaw dropped when I saw the pile. Well, she was finally in again yesterday and Gak told her thank you from the moment she walked in the door to the moment she left. Apparently she's "getting us a pump". I'm not sure if this means at her dealer rate or what. I'm floored. Medela is the leading brand and what most hospitals use. I've only heard a few bad reviews, but I'm guessing that these were either from mom's who weren't really able to for whatever reason or were expecting something else. I just hope I'll be successful with this. It'll be a heck of a lot cheaper than formula. If you want sticker shock, go look at formula cans in the grocery store.
Not to mention possibly safer. I'm not sure how many of you have heard the news about Canada stopping sales of bottles made of polycarbonate. Yes, Lexan. Apparently, when heated, especially over time, they can and do release a chemical that is an analogue to estrogen. It has been shown to be bad in mice. What the levels are and what it really means to people, I'm still not 100% on. You've got people saying "it's about time" and also "it's all scare tactics hype". I'm thinking the reality is somewhere in the middle. Yes, we'll have to use bottles while Boo is in day care, but if the rest of day he doesn't have to, that'll be better.
In other baby news, we have an appointment at a daycare that's literally a half block out of the way for Gak on the way to work. It just so happens that our landlady is friendly with one of the owners. I hope this place is nice. I liked the other place we looked at. (We're still playing phone tag about setting up an actual appointment there...) But, if we go there, it'll actually be cheaper with the cost of gas the way it's going for him to do full days. Not that it would be a bad thing, but if we've got Gak home for half a day, we want to use him for Poppa time. It'll be great for both of them (and make me pretty jealous some days...)
As far as the upstairs neighbor goes, well, they had their day in court last week. The landlady pretty much got what she wanted. The tenant has 10 days (less now) to move out or appeal. And she's got to pay the court fees. I'm not sure about the rest of the rent money, but I think the landlady was able to get at least some of it out of the deal. It's a good thing. This means that our landlady will be able to rent out the apartment to someone who won't tare the place apart and hopefully make good neighbors. I'll just settle for quiet neighbors. I mean, it would be great if we were friendly, but if we can all live in our own little worlds and coexist without problems, that'll be just fine by me.

Last night was the first time I'd been to the Nature Center in just about 2.5 years. (The last time was to help with the Haloween trail a few years back...) It was a good evening. I had a good group. The fire lit and stayed that way. I got a S'more. Overall, a good night. I can't wait to be able to do more of these!

Well, I'd best wrap this up. I've got a few things to do around the house before I go pick up Gak from work. We're heading to BabysRUs to pick up a stroller and some other things with the money that his mother sent Boo.
Peace to all and may it all work out in your favor in the long run.

No comments: