Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dorm Life?

I thought I was done with dorm living. I mean, I know we live in a fairly old building with little to no insulation between floors, but come on.
Like I've said before, we have a new neighbor upstairs. I'm used to hearing her 3-year-old run across the floor when he's there. I understand about being able to hear the baby cry. I know that when she walks across the floor in a hurry I'll be able to follow her footsteps. I even accept that I'll be able to hear the base line and possibly the music or TV itself some days.
Last night, on the other hand, was just plain wrong.
I don't think I even had this much noise when I was living in a dorm for 4 years.
It had started before we got home actually.
What am I talking about?
I'm talking about loud thumps and crashes that sounded like the people in the apartment upstairs were going to come through their floor into my ceiling. It sounded was enough to rattle the dishes in the cabinets and the hanging light in the dinning room. And the thumps were at the other end of the apartment.
Mind you, I'm all for having friends over and having a good time, but you have to draw the line somewhere. There have been a few times when we've had everyone over, including the kids, and it got a bit rough. But we always made sure the kids settled down by about 9 or so, even though there's only a business (closed at night) below us and neighbors above us. Noise doesn't travel so well up, but it does down, since it is a shared plane.
This noise continued on until almost midnight.
Gak knocked on their door (I'd asked if he minded playing Brute Squad) around 10:30. He pounded on the door and heard them yell that someone was at the door, but to ignore it. About an hour later, I heard him go out again. (Yes, this is well past the time that I should be asleep, especially since I actually have to be in the office by 8 these days...) They did quiet down a bit after that one. We still locked the deadbolt as well as the door handle. We've never done this in the almost 2 years that we've lived there.
Gak did talk to the landlady this morning. He's going to talk to her again tomorrow. (She wasn't in her office, which is the downstairs business, today, but will be tomorrow.) Part of tomorrow is to take her the paint color we decided on. It's a nice pretty yellow. Hopefully in the next week or two, they'll be painting. I'm impressed that she actually let us have a color other than white!
The funny part is, Gak did get an apology from the upstairs neighbor this morning. Apologies are all well and good, but useless if it happens again. I'm trying not to be too judgemental against her, but I have a hard time. She hasn't done anything to prove to me that she's responsible, and she's done a few things that have shown otherwise. (Yes, I'm referring to two kids by the time she's 20... and no stable relationship... I know, there are exceptions to the rule but.... I'm not holding my breath here...)
Anyhow, I hope she either realizes that she needs to be a little more considerate of her downstairs neighbors, wherever she lives, or she moves on. I don't really care whitch.
In other news, it looks like Michelle will be coming up the weekend of the 12th! (I got a message from her saying she's available to come up that weekend and to let her know...) I can't wait to see her, I haven't seen her since New Year's. Eep! That reminds me, her birthday is this week! I'd best get a card out....
Just took a break to rant a bit while I ate my lunch. It's back to work for me... maybe I'll get something productive done this afternoon. (haha, yeah, right...)
Peace to all and may you have considerate neighbors.

No comments: