Thursday, February 28, 2008

Run Away Yarn?

Well, I've finished up training our two Indian programmers. It was quite a lot of fun. I'm not sure I've really enjoyed a training session this much in quite a while. They asked great questions and are fun people to begin with.
Last night, most of software development took them out to dinner. I knew about it Tuesday, but didn't realize I was invited as well. So... since Gak was closing, I went too. It was a good time. I think this is the first really social thing I've done since Michelle came up for New Year's, and I was sick at the time. Oh, wait... we did go over to Kat's one night and played games with everyone. I'm trying to remember if that was before or after New Year's though. (I'm sure I could look it up in past posts, but I'm being lazy...) It was a good time. Rick and Uday also came. It was good to see them again. They both seem to be doing well.
Of course, because I went out last night, that means that any projects I was thinking about working on last night didn't happen. That's OK though. I'm waiting until Saturday to try and attack the sleeves again. I need daylight and brain power. The few other things I'm working on should go quickly. Especially once I get the yarn back for Mom's afghan. I really want to get it done in the next few weeks so she'll have it by her birthday. That and it'll still be cold enough to want to use it! It won't take me all that long to do, it's a fairly quick and easy pattern.
My friend Chelsea (see links) is taking a speech class in college right now. I'm sure if I'd had an entire class on it in school, I'd have been terrified and done horribly. I really don't mind speaking (look at what I do for a living!) but having to do "formal" speeches and things like that, I'm not very good at. It's the whole prep thing. Just look at how badly my senior seminar(s) went for my degree. Of course, I didn't really have topics I was interested in... so that made it even more challenging in my little world.
Anyhow, back to Chelsea. Go read her outline for this speech. It's sounding pretty good. She's talking about the social aspects of knitting. It's true, and it doesn't just hold for knitting. Crocheters are that way too. And this isn't anything new. Don't forget all the church sewing/quilting circles of the past, and the prayer shawl ministries of today. It's not just little old lades doing it either. Fiber arts of all kinds are becoming popular and trendy for all ages. I'm glad. There is just something about having a hobby that makes things, that expresses your creativity. Mind you, stamp and coin collecting and things like that are great hobbies too and have their own communities, but there's something about making something tangible with your time. It gives you a whole new window on the world. It makes you feel useful and productive and you get a real sense of accomplishment when you learn something new or finish a project. It makes your heart swell to bursting when you gift someone with something you've made and they can't thank you enough. (Although, almost every crafter has had the exact opposite experience... putting in all the time and effort into a hand made gift only to have it looked down on and tossed aside... that hurts a lot.)
I'm not going to go into all the evidence that older people with hobbies that engage the brain live longer, happier, healthier lives. I'm not going to say I'd rather go hang out with my mom in the sewing room helping mend or alter things than sit in front of the TV.... I'm not here to preach about the evils of TV and turning off your brains.... so I won't.
Anyhow, I'm rambling again. I had a different post in my head when I went to bed last night, but after reading Chelsea's blog, I guess I had to share my own thoughts and support her thesis. I wish her all the luck in the world with this class and this presentation.
Peace to all and may you all have something that keeps your hands and your mind busy and brings a smile to your face.

No comments: