Monday, September 29, 2008

Good Date, Scarry World

Yesterday's "date" was great.  Once we were able to leave Kat's.  Boo's nap and feeding schedule just didn't mesh well yesterday.  He went down for a nap at about 12:30, but woke again at 1 because he was hungry.  He refused to go back down for the second half of his nap, and so was very upset by the time we got to Kat's.  We got him settled enough that he wasn't screaming bloody murder.  (He then eventually took a 45 minute nap and they had a good evening.)
Gak and I finally got to see Dark Knight.  One word: Awesome.  In every sense of the word.  The acting was phenomenal.  There was no trace of "Heath Ledger" in the Joker.  It was scary.  Everyone gave the best performance possible.  The effects were great, but not obnoxious.  There actually was a story and it was very good.  It was quite painful in some ways to watch both the Joker and Harvey Dent.  Your heart broke just a little knowing what eventually happens.  It was also very nice to see a movie just the two of us.  The last time we did that was Narnia, and while good, wasn't stellar.
After the movie we managed to get a seat right away at Red Robbin's.  It helped that is was a Sunday evening and still raining and this is an outdoor shopping area.  It was nice to not feel rushed through dinner because you didn't know when someone was going to start crying and need attention.
So, yes, overall yesterday was good.  Boo had a good evening once he had his nap and Zoe actually let him have enough space.  (I love her dearly, but there are times she really gets on my nerves and just needs to back up!  Oh well, maybe she'll grow out of it or at least the novelty of a new cousin will wear off a bit...)

Then we come to today.  It started off oh, so well.  I get to work on time.  (Which was amazing because Boo was being so snugly and smiley and very cute.)  Of course, as soon as I get to my desk, I find out that the network is totally down.  I can't print.  I can't check my email.  I can't check what work orders I'm assigned.  (And even if I could, I couldn't work on them because I couldn't dial out...)  Luckily the downtime only lasted about a half hour, and the voicemail that had been left me Friday let me close out two tickets.
The real downer of the day was listening to the bits and pieces of news floating around the office.  I really don't pay much attention to the news.  I'm financially an idiot really.  I invest in my 401(k), but other than that, I know almost nothing except how to balance my checkbook.  (And I don't even "do" that, but just check the balance at least once or twice a week through my bank's web page and take out what else I've spent but hasn't cleared...)  But the news of the last few weeks scares the pants off me.  I have no idea if the money in my retirement savings is safe.  I know I don't have enough savings in my bank accounts to worry about since they're insured.  (That and I use a small local bank, so there's only so much trouble they can get into...)  
What really worries me is that this is the worst month in the history of my parents' business.  I have no idea what will happen or where things will go.  I just want to make it through November and then the first of the year.  I'm almost not sure it really matters who wins, just so long as the election is won cleanly.  (Yes, I will vote.  Yes, I'm pretty sure who I'll vote for.  No, I'm not going to tell you because if you know me, you'll probably be able to guess.  If not, you don't need to know.)
Mom and I did talk about it a little tonight.  We know they're closing the shop eventually.  None of us has a clue of what's next.  We just hope they can make it to the end of this lease.  We also have no idea what will happen to Dad when the shop closes.  This is what he does now.  This is all he does.  What will he find to replace it?  I don't want to think about it.  It scares me way too much.
Anyhow, it's what's keeping me up at night these days.  Boo is still sleeping through the night, so he's not keeping me up.   (Althoguh, GrammaSue thinks he may be getting ready to cut teeth.... I'm not so sure, but we'll see... I'm sure that'll be keeping both of us up if he is.)
Anyhow, I'm going to go escape into a book and ignore the fact that the world seems to be going to hell in a handbasket around me.

No comments: