Sunday, September 14, 2008


Subtitle: Boo has a cranky day.

Boo had a cranky day today.  But why does this make the title of this post "Moo"?  Well, the only thing that kept him happy was to eat.  Which he did just about every 1.5-2 hours.  From 7:30 this morning until 8:00 tonight.  I lost count of how many times he nursed or how many wet diapers he had.  (But no dirty diapers.... this could be part of the cranky problem.)
I guess it really started yesterday evening when I was putting him to bed.  He almost fell asleep nursing, so I snuggled him a minute or two and then put him to bed like always.  No change to the routine.  No change to anything that I know of.  
Well, he immediately woke up and was so not happy about the situation.  I let him fuss for a few minutes, then went in and rubbed his belly a minute until he settled down and the eyes began to close again.  I said good night to him again and went back out to the computer.  Only to have him start fussing again.  I give it another 3-5 minutes.  Nope, getting louder, not softer.  After about 3 repeats of this, I get out the swaddler blanket and wrap him up in it.  He fights me tooth and nail.  Well, gums and nail.... but you get the picture.  Anyhow, he settles and is able to go to sleep.
He woke up this morning at about 7:30 or so and was smiling and happy and well rested.  My fears of him waking up every 2 hours all last night were unfounded.  Much to my relief.
After his breakfast, Gak and I got ready for the day and we went out to breakfast at the dinner.  (We don't mind going there now because everything is smoke free... it was pretty nasty in there some days...)  After breakfast we did a quick grocery run.  Right when we were getting to the car, Boo starts melting down.  No problem, we're on our way home anyhow.
We get home, he's settled down and isn't fussing at the moment, but I feed him anyhow.  He falls asleep during "second breakfast" and I snuggle him for a bit.  I miss this during the week, so I get as much as I can in on weekends.  After about 15 minutes I need to get up, and right as I do, he wakes up.  So much for a nap.
It doesn't matter too much, he's my happy little guy again.  Well, about an hour or so latter he gets fussy again.  I change his diaper, again.  (This may also be part of the problem, I decided to try a pack of Loves because he's almost out of size 1 and didn't want to spend a lot on a pack he may not use up.  If I have to change him every 2 hours or less, it won't save me any money to switch...)  Still fussy.  I feed him again and he falls asleep.  This time I'm able to get him into his bed for a few (about 20 minutes max).  I also take a nap, or try to.  (Mind you, I think this is the right time line, it's all a little fuzzy with all the fussing.)
Anyhow, after fussing off and on and feeding lots and lots, he finally takes another nap.  Just in time for the very late lunch or very, very early dinner I made to be ready.  When Boo wakes up, after a few moments we decide he's happy enough that we were going to take Chris up on his offer to go over and play Magic.  Right as we get there, Boo gets fussy.  Yep, he's hungry again.  Luckily I brought two bottles with me.  (Luckily I had two in the fridge.)  He scarfs it down and is happy.  Or at least happier.  While Gak is feeding Boo, I play a game against Scott and Chris.  I manage to almost pull the game off, but I just couldn't get ahead of Scott's life gain.  Oh well.
Gak then plays against Chris while I play with Boo and talk with Dianne.  That was a very good, and long, game.  Chris manages to win that one from behind because of a few lucky draws.
I hand Boo off to Gak and Boo declares he is hungry... again....  (Mind you, I have no idea how much time has passed, I don't quite remember what time it was when we got there...)  So, Gak feeds Boo and I loose to Chris.  After eating, Boo is still quite fussy.  Gak manages to get him to fall asleep lying across his lap.  I wish I'd had my camera.  It was just too cute.  His head tilted to one side and his one arm dangling between Gak's legs.  Priceless.  Anyhow, I pull off a win in a second game against Chris.  We then decide that for the best, we'd better head home.  (Scott had gone home after Gak's game with Chris.)
Boo wakes up when we get him in his seat and is calm on the ride home.  That doesn't last long though.  So, I take him and feed him yet again.  He's a bit better.  Of course, now when he's getting cranky, he's getting quite a bit louder.  I know a good part of it has to do with the fact that he hasn't slept.  It isn't like we haven't tried, he just won't give in to a nap or stay asleep more than 30 minutes at most today.  Well, by now it's 7:00.  I swaddle him up and walk and bounce him for a bit.  Gak relieves me for a bit, unwraps him to check his bottom at one point and tries to get him to calm.  He is successful for a few moments.  By now it's 7:40 so I declare it bed time.  I get his wrap all ready (it really is too small, I wasn't planning on it, but it looks like I'll have to invest in one or two of the bigger size, in fleece or something warm for winter...), get him into his PJ's as he screams and feed him yet again.  (See, I told you today was a "Moo" day.)  He almost falls asleep eating.  I manage to get him into bed and wrapped up.  (Well, almost wrapped, I left one arm out because he was sucking his thumb/fist.  This is a new trick today...)  He's quiet and so I'm assuming he's asleep.  I'll check on him after I'm done with this.
So, today was a good enough day, but I'm exhausted.  He's got a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so I'll see if they have any ideas of what the problem might have been.  No, he doesn't have a fever, a rash, vomiting or anything else that might indicate an illness.  When he's not screaming, he's my happy fun little boy.  We got to play a bit and he just loves that Oball Linda got him.  I just don't know what's going on in that little head of his, and I'm not sure he does either.  Oh well.  I hope he's better tomorrow for GrammaSue!
Peace to all and may there be peace and happiness in your lives.


Flauta Mom said...

It could be one of 2 things
1) Growth spurt
2) He misses you and wants all the contact he can get

Did you check his gums for any bumps? Could be teeth

Addey said...

Nope, no teeth.
I'm figuring on growth spurt or just general cranky day. He had a great doctor's appointment and despite getting a shot was a mostly happy boy for GrammaSue.