Wednesday, July 09, 2008

By Nana and Hello Work?

Well, yesterday we got Nana off to the airport without any problems. She managed to get through security with no problems and made it through her plane change without a hitch and got home just fine. It was a good visit overall, but I think everyone was both glad and sad to see it come to an end. There's something to be said about sleeping in your own bed.
Today was my department meeting down at work.
Gak and I first stopped by the daycare with Boo to introduce him to the wonderful women who will be watching him four afternoons a week and introduce the place to him. He wasn't too sure when we first got to the infant/toddler room, but quickly warmed up to the women. He'll be just fine.
Me, on the other hand, will be a wreck.
I trust these women totally and completely. The kids there all seem happy and well cared for and they were so excited to meet Boo. I think the big thing is that other than a few hour stretches, he's been with me non-stop since oh... last September in one way or another. It'll be hard to be away from him, but it will be good too. (Or at least that's what I keep telling myself...) I do enjoy my work and my coworkers, I just enjoy my son even more.
Anyhow, after saying good-bye to the nice ladies and dropping Gak off at his office, Boo and I headed down to my office. We got there just in time for lunch. I hadn't checked my email since last Saturday and it turns out that they were having a Q1 wrapup meeting and lunch. I'd eaten already with Gak before leaving the house, but who am I to turn down a pig roast? Everyone thought Boo was the sweetest and cutest little boy. Ellen actually was able to hold him for about 5 or 10 minutes while I got myself a small plate and scarfed it down. He was just checking everything out and being pretty mellow. Of course, once we got back to my desk, he decided he was both hungry and messy. This was easy to take care of because I was smart and brought a couple of bottles with me for just this reason... and I'm getting very good at remembering to not only leave the house with the diaper bag, but keep it stocked too!
The real interesting part of the day was the meeting. It took the full hour that we had scheduled. So, here's the scoop in a nutshell. My friend Bill is "acting" manager. He doesn't want the position long term. He's currently being pulled in at least two directions with the service work and with the regulatory work. (Not to mention it's a reporting month which really makes things fun.... NOT!) They've made offers to two temps, one of whom has said yes and will be starting soon, they're still waiting to hear from the other. We're still not sure exactly where I stand, since "officially" according to all the paperwork the company has, I'm not really part of that group, but still within service as Training Manager. The only real problem is the fact that I'm salaried Exempt and everyone else is Non-Exempt. Oh well, that'll get sorted out in the long run. The guy who used to run engineering, and is now an engineering "consultant" may become the temporary manager and there's a rumor floating about that there's one of the engineers who might possibly be interested in applying for the position. The real push with training is to hold more here, possibly every other month, instead of every quarter. I put together a brainstorm of an idea and Bill seemed to like it. We'll play with it some more once I get back so we can implement it for 2009. The big thing is, we really can't afford people to travel like I was. (Both in money and time... we just don't make enough off of these trips...) That and we need to get engineering to pick up doing the startup training, which was a huge portion of my travel. We were polled for ideas on how to make things run smoother because, for the most part, Bill's got free reign and now is the time to make changes and get things the way we want. (Bill already gave the guy in charge more than an earful about the "new" call tracking system we're using...)
So, the long and the short of it is: we're in a state of flux, but we have the ears of those in charge and might actually come out ahead in the long run. It'll be a chaotic several months, but we'll all survive.
Of course, being the brain-dead Momma that I am, I totally forgot to bring my camera to take pictures of Boo at my work. He was very good almost all afternoon. He got a little fussy around 3:45 and I gave him his second (small) bottle. That wasn't quite enough to keep him happy though. I left at about 4:30 and headed home. I'm still so totally amazed at how mellow and sweet a little guy my Boo is. He really is such a joy to take places and be with. Like I've said, I'm going to have a very hard time returning... but I don't have a choice so I'll do what I have to do.
That's about all the news for now. Boo keeps growing and changing and it's so wonderful to watch. He's actually tracking things from time to time, if he's interested. He's doing really well at holding his head up and if you sit him up, he'll try his hardest to hold it for as long as possible. He can't quite track with his head yet, that control is a bit wobbly yet. I'm sure he'll master that skill way too soon. (I love having my little snuggle bug of a baby and I'm afraid that I'll blink and he'll be a toddler or graduating high school or something absurd like that! I don't want to miss a second of this.)
Anyway, I'm going to go pick up a crochet hook or a book for a bit before sacking out. Boo fell asleep around 8, so that means he'll be up by 2 at the latest more than likely. (I'm actually hoping he wakes up around midnight and then sleeps until 5 or 6... but with the full day he's had, I doubt he'll be up that soon. Oh well...)
Peace to all and may there be a little order to your chaos.

No comments: