Thursday, January 01, 2015

New Year, New Start

I know, I know, it's been months since I've posted here.  Oops.  I'll summarize all the things that have gone on recently in a bit.

Anyhow, I saw something, well, several somethings actually, posted the other day about how the new year is a new book with 365 blank pages.  And well, that reminded me I really need to try and write at least a few of those pages down.... so, my goal is to try and remember to write here more.

So, what's been going on you ask?  Well, a heck of a lot, most of it trying.

Months ago I posted about the rent hike and moving.  That's been most of our adventure the last several months.

Anyhow, the good news of the move is that we're able to keep Boo in his current school through the end of the year.  They wanted to move him, but we calmly explained the economics of why we were moving and how making him change schools would more than negate the savings we'd get through moving.  So, they agreed that it would cause a financial hardship and let him stay, without transportation, but that's fine, we've got it covered anyhow.

The bad?  Oh, I'm not sure I can write that coherently.  In short, our new landlords are more or less slumlords who couldn't care less about their properties or their tenants unless they're not getting paid.

There've been some awesome lines from the landlord.... like "It's not as clean as I usually like to turn it over to new tenants.... but the carpets came up much nicer than I expected.".  We also got "do you want me to leave the paint for the trim?" when the walls (blue in one case) have very obvious places they were patched, one about the 12" in diameter, and never painted and the walls were filthy.  Or, how about "Will it be acceptable if I only get 3 of the burners working?"  I think that one takes the cake and says it all.

When people ask me about our new place, I usually say that it would be a great apartment if it had been kept up.  And it would.  Other than the fact that the boy literally has a bed room, with nothing but his bed, a stool for his clock, his clothes hamper and a tiny bed-side table.  There are two little built-in cubies that he's using for clothes storage.  That's supposed to be an "office" (that only has one outlet?).  The "second bedroom" is not much more than a glorified hallway with some funky angles at the one end and a tiny triangle of an excuse for a closet, that leads between the living room and the actual bedroom.  (And why is bedroom one word, but living room two??)  The kitchen would be nice if I could actually find another storage unit with drawers in it for the rest of my kitchen stuff that doesn't have a home.  (There are four tiny drawers in the kitchen, two of which are broken...)  And going from two bathrooms down to one and losing the dishwasher aren't exactly highlights either.

But, that's all the negative stuff.  We're making the best of it and we're not here forever.  Of course the general grumpiness has kept me from actually attempting to finish the unpacking.  I haven't even bothered with the bookcases.  The boxes of books are just on or in front of them....

But, there have been good things the last several months.  Boo's reading is coming along quite well and his math is exploding.  He's really enjoying school and his teacher just adores having him.  (Yeah, he's a cutie and sweet, and listens and works hard.... and she's young and cute.....)
I still really love my job.  I'm not a huge fan of the commute, but it could be so much worse.  The other people on my team are all great to work with, our manager actually cares and gives us real targets to aim for and the rest of management is all very supportive as well.  Oh, and just the overall attitude of the company is outstanding.  It may not have felt like it at the time, or throughout much of 2013 or the beginning of 2014, but getting laid off really was a blessing in disguise.  It forced me to move on and to realize exactly how poisonous my old workplace was and how wonderful it can be.  Sure, it's not perfect and I don't love everyone I work with, but I can work with them and get along in a professional manner and life is good.  (I don't expect to like or get along with everyone.... but I can play nice.)


So,  while 2014 was a bit of a roller coaster, I do believe there was more good than bad.  I look forward to an even better 2015 and will do my best to see the good in all the challenges.

I'll leave you with some random photos from the past several months, not really in any particular order or importance.

















No comments: