Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Ups and Downs

Today has been a day of ups and downs and a little bit of in-between.
Up: I feel almost back to normal.  I can swallow without it hurting and am not feeling miserable in general.  Just feeling a bit wiped out in general.

Small down: because of awake boys it was a little chaotic for me to get out the door this morning so I forgot to take my morning dose of antibiotics.  Oh well. It's not the end of the world, just means I have to take it a little bit longer...

Small up: I actually got a few things accomplished at work.

Big down:  Today was Dud's funeral.  There were some good things about it.  I saw several people who used to work with us who we haven't seen in ages. It was nice to chat with Rick for a bit and see some other friendly faces.  If the measure of a life can be told by the number and the kind of people that go to your funeral, than it just proves that Dud was as wonderful a human being as I thought he was.  The church was nice and full for the service, and that doesn't count everyone who just came for the viewing and didn't stay for the service.  With every kind word that was said I could totally relate to several instances from work.  And then I began to think about my own Gram and how much I miss her.  And a little voice in the back of my head kept whispering that we'll have to be saying goodbye to my own dad sooner than anyone wants.  I kept replying "we don't know that!" but the mere fact that it was there can't be ignored.  Dad isn't getting any younger or any healthier.

But, the service for Dud was beautiful and wonderful and simple and honest, just like the man himself.  He carried himself quietly and reservedly and let his actions speak for him.  And anyone who knew him for long had at the very least a soft spot for him, if not downright love for the man.  I will truly miss his quiet presence at work.  (Especially since his area is right beside mine.)  I will miss the quiet of the office before 7am when we'd be the only two in the office and the friendly "good morning"s we'd trade as one or the other would walk by.  I'll miss his quiet, calm confidence when faced with urgent customer problems.  I'll miss the calm way he'd put his opinion in at meetings without any fanfare or back-patting or self promotion.  The world is a slightly duller place without Dud's presence.

Big up:  Mom came home from the hospital today!  She was pronounced "patient of the week" by her doctors. She's walking really well and able to do stairs and has a nice "even gait".  She sounded better than I've heard her in months.  She's feeling very good and not in much pain as long as she remembers to stay ahead of her pain meds.  She is not just feeling physically good, but emotionally good.  As she said, she needed to do this, she needed to do this for herself.  I'm so thrilled that she has.

Normal roller coaster: The evening getting a boy-o fed and in bed.  Yep, normal 3.5 year old stuff.  Of course, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the whole potty training thing.  One day he'll be really good and seem to be actually attempting to listen to his body and figuring it out, but most days he just doesn't care.  He realizes that it's easier for him to just keep using diapers and making us deal with it.  He's so smart, I'm really not sure on how to tackle that... And I have yet to find a big enough, good enough bribe to make him want to work at it. *sigh*

So, I bid you peace and may you have more ups than downs.

No comments: