Monday, February 06, 2012

New and Random.

Well, it's been almost a week since I last posted.  I'm feeling a million times better than I was a week ago.  I can swallow without cringing and have most of my energy back.  So, I'm just about back at 100%, give or take.

Mom's doing really well.  She's being worked really hard in therapy and doing really well with it.

Saturday was actually pretty cool.  We had our normal Saturday morning/afternoon, but then after Gak got off work, we headed down to visit Amma.  We had a very enjoyable visit and Boo got lots of Aunt Becca time.  We (the "kids") got sent out to dinner because Dad was getting a big overwhelmed by all the people in the house.  Anyhow, it was a very nice chance to hang out with Becca for a bit and just talk a bit about both family stuff and general stuff.  I really love her and Jon and it really stinks some days that they live on the other side of the country.

The highlight for me, other than getting to spend some wonderful time with both Becca and Mom, was the fact that our income tax return cleared and I was able to take a bit of it and splurge on a new computer.  Well, I wouldn't call it much of a splurge.  It has been almost 6 years since I got the Beast.  He was a good machine, but living on borrowed time.  His power supply fan has been going for about 2 years now and if it went, the whole system would be shot.  It was actually going to be cheaper to replace him than to fix him, I'm sad to say. This new girl is pretty nice though.  She's a bit better than the $200 base models, but she's not a $2000 Alienware or even a $1000 Dell.  I did upgrade her video though, not top of the line video, but about as much as her power supply could handle.  She's a cute little HP and so far she's handling nicely.  Windows 7 Home Premium seems mostly harmless and fortunately hasn't changed up too many things.  I feel like they've hidden some key things that I'm used to being able to see/do, but I'm not your average user.  I spend a lot of time mucking about with software and doing things "behind the scenes" and troubleshooting issues for other people.  I'm used to being able to get easy access to certain parts of the OS, which Windows 7 hides from users because it's safer that way.  I'm sure I'll find what I want/need when I need to.

Anyhow, I know I didn't talk much about our visit with Mom.  There isn't much to tell really.  She was very happy to see her Boo, and he was very glad to see her.  He was extra gentle with her knee and so very cute.  Becca and Boo had a good amount of fun looking at "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go!" and playing with some finger puppets and just generally enjoying each other.  It made me happy to see everyone enjoying themselves.

It also really sunk in how much Becca has been doing for Mom and how much of a good thing that it is that she was able to come out here.  I could have done a lot of it, but nowhere near what Becca has done.  I wouldn't have been able to stay with Dad as much.  I wouldn't have been able to do all the running around.  I would have had to take vacation time and then still try and juggle Gak's work schedule and a boy-child.  And not to mention the mere fact that I came down with strep just 2 days before Mom's surgery and I sure as anything wouldn't have been able to take her to the hospital, let alone be able to stay with her or anything.

I am so very, very thankful for Becca and the fact that she's as good to Mom as she is.

Anyhow, I'm gonna wrap this up and go play with some new yarn that I just got.

Peace to all and may you have great weekends and wonderful family to spend it with.

No comments: