Sunday, February 12, 2012

Clothes Crankiness

This may seem kind of random, but it's not really.
I honestly can't remember when I've had an entire outfit fit correctly and look good.  Back a few years ago, it was because I was so overweight and in denial about what size I should be wearing, that nothing in my closet fit right or looked good.
Now that I've lost about 75 lb, give or take a lb or two, you'd think that I'd have all kinds of clothes that fit.  Well, I don't.  I've got some shirts that look great, but then I can't find pants that fit right.  Or if my pants are looking good, then my shirts or sweaters are doing something weird, or, like on Friday, nothing is right.

I know I've talked about it before, and I'll say it again.  If you don't feel good in your clothes, you won't look good, no matter how good the clothes are.  And lately, I haven't been happy with my clothes.  They're both too big and too small at the same time, often in the same garment.  (Don't get me started on jeans, but I'll probably end up going there anyhow...)  If I could afford to just throw everything out that didn't fit very nicely and start from scratch, I probably would at this point.  I've been dissatisfied with my wardrobe for over two years and haven't had much that's fit right in many, many more years than that.

I don't understand sizing or cuts.  I mean, I've got some pants that fit fairly well and are one size, the jeans by the same company are a size bigger and hit my waist at the same point, but seem to be cut like low-rise (read no actual waist per se... just the same cut through the hips... you're kidding right?).  And it doesn't seem to matter if you're paying $100 an item or $10, nothing is cut right.

I'd love to make more of my clothes, but I just don't have the time, money or skill.  Sure, I can make all kinds of things both crochet and sewing, but I'm just not the great tailor that Mom is.  I'm a very good technician (sew this seam... cut here... things like that), but I'm not so good at creating new designs from scratch or even adjusting sewing patterns to fit.

*sigh*  I'm sorry for this rant.  I don't really have much of a point.  I just am tired and frustrated with everything in my closet.  Well, maybe not my socks.... and a few T-shirts and some button down shirts, but 95% of what I own frustrates me on one level or another.  And I'm not sure what I can do to fix it.  Or even if I should try that hard to right now, as I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to actually try and loose another 20 lb or so or just be content with drifting downwards for now.  (I really would love to get down to 150, if only because that puts me only slightly above the "healthy" range for my height by BMI and despite what I may say most days, I really do want to loose that #%#@^ obese tag....  I can tell you I'm 100 times more fit and trim at this weight now than when I was last here 10+ years ago...)

Anyhow, I have a boy-o to go tuck in.  Oh, Boo and I went down to visit Amma and PopPop today.  Amma is doing very well.  She seems to be walking about as well as before her surgery and keeps forgetting that she is supposed to be using her cane.  She's mostly got to remember that her knee actually does bend and to actually bend it and use it.  Her incision looks great, all of the swelling has gone down and her spirits are still very high.  She starts 3-day a week PT tomorrow and will be doing that for up to 6 weeks.  I haven't seen her this happy or feeling this good in a very long time.  I'm so glad!

On that note, I bid you all peace and only minor battles with your clothes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am down to wearing the one pair of jeans that fit well with my geeky t-shirts. Nothing else seems to fit right. And I have not lost weight, just re-distributed it :(