Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Plates

Today's prompt was plate.  We had spaghetti for dinner, so this gives me the perfect opportunity to talk about Boo's eating, or lack there of.  At least at home.

I know I've posted before about how frustrating trying to feed this boy has become.  A lot of the frustration has been self imposed by Gak and I.  And yes, I still struggle with if what we're doing is the right approach.  I think there's enough stubborn in this family that all it's going to do is make everyone unhappy.
Part of me still wonders if we should give up on making him try a bite, but just put the food on the table, he can eat what he wants, but if he doesn't eat any of the protein/main dish, no dessert.  Not that I want him to think that he should have dessert every night, but a small treat at the end of the day isn't a bad thing.  Maybe, just maybe, if I make it seem like I really don't care what he eats, maybe, just maybe, he'll eventually get up enough courage on his own to try things.  I'm not going back to making two meals for dinner.  Nope, I'll make sure there's something I know he eats on the table, but it'll totally be his call on what and how much he eats.  I mean, that's part of the problem I know I have... the whole eating until I'm stuffed vs. eating until I've had enough to fill me up without being over full.  *shrug* Like I said, it's something that's bouncing around in my head.

Anyhow, today's photo of the day is a photo of Boo's dinner.  Like I said, we had spaghetti tonight, which is something Boo loves.  So long as any sauce doesn't come within three feet of it.  I can usually manage to get one bite off my plate of a noodle or two with some sauce on it.  Tonight went amazingly well considering the fights we've had the rest of the week.  Oh, but that better be Kraft parm, not the good stuff.  Again, sigh.

Other things Boo will eat: grilled cheeses.  Like his Momma, he'll turn into a grilled cheese if given the chance.  I could probably get him to eat either a grilled cheese, or an un-grilled cheese sandwich twice a day every day.  But, as I found out in college, one can't live off of grilled cheese and french fries alone.

Boo will sometimes eat chicken nuggets.  But, not home made ones.  Some days he won't touch ones from restaurants or store bought ones.

He now likes tortillas, with either peanut butter or shredded cheddar cheese, so long as it's not melted.  Again, cheese.

So, other than cheese (either "white square" or shredded cheddar) and peanut butter and milk, there really isn't any protein sources he'll eat, animal or vegetable.

Yeah, yeah, I know... I was the same way.  I eventually grew out of it and so will he.  But, I'd like to see him grow out of it a little fast than I did.  At least I would eat pizza, and home made macaroni and cheese and lunch meat and the like... but, no.  Not Boo.

Oh well.  I'm just kinda rambling right now.

I'm going to sign off and head to bed.

Peace to all and may you eat what you like, like what you eat and have at least a little variety in your meals.


2 comments:

Margaret said...

I feel your pain. My 14 year old is just like, and she always was. It is really frustrating. All she really wants is sugar.

Addey said...

Actually, he loves fruit, which is a great thing. And usually he asks for peanut butter sandwiches, or peanut butter crackers or grilled cheese... or cereal... he rarely asks for sweets, which is awesome in and of itself, I just wish it included a bit more protein.