Thursday, July 12, 2012

Letters and Texture

Yesterday's prompt was "letter".  I had no luck all day at work with coming up with anything.  Of course, since I barely had time to get up from my desk to get my lunch out of the fridge, I'm not surprised.  Anyhow, I got home and figured I'd take a picture of our empty mailbox.  We hardly ever get mail.  Much to my surprise, we actually had mail.  Advertising admittedly, but mail none the less.

Actually, I was happy to see the JoAnn's flyer.  Not that I'm planning on buying anything, but I like getting the coupons anyhow, on the off chance that I'll both be inspired as well as have a few extra bucks in my pocket.  I may have a few extra bucks this weekend, but I've already decided that there are two books that I need to pick up.  One is Margaret Finnegan's  (yes, that Margaret who has made a few comments on this blog...) new novel, The Goddess Lounge.  The other is the new Deborah Harkness novel Shadow of Night.  Yeah, I see a theme.  *shrug* I just finished Tricked by Kevin Hearne.  Not exactly breaking from the pattern.  Although, I could stand to read some cyber-punk or similar sci-fi again soon.
Ok, now that I've totally gotten off topic.
Wait, I have a topic?
Hmm.... anyhow, back to what I was wanting to say.

I actually had two more photos yesterday that I really liked as well.  There was this one, of all the magnet letters that Boo has tossed into his drawer in the kitchen.  (I'm still not sure why he won't put them back on the fridge or dishwasher...)

I'll save the third one from yesterday until last...

Anyhow, today's prompt was texture.  I'm not really going to go into detail.  But, yeah, slamming my head against a brick wall is how I felt all day.  Work is being a bear.  Trying to get Boo to try anything new is even worse.  Getting the boy to let me brush his teeth... let's not go there. 

All I know, is that with Boo it's a combination of things.  Part of it is the actual fear of trying new things.  That, I get.  But, what really is beginning to wear on me is the fact that a large part of the problem is that a lot of why Boo doesn't want to try things, or let me brush his teeth, or help me put together the Legos by finding the right pieces or participate in soccer is because someone is asking or making him do something.  I know this is a big part of being four years old.  I know he's just trying to establish his place in the world and the hierarchy of the family and at school.  But... I just can't help but wonder if this stubborn streak a mile wide that is increasingly being accompanied by crying and tantrums of sorts is a preview of the struggles to come when he gets to school.  I'm very thankful that he's got another year yet before Kindergarten.  In a way this makes me glad that he'll most likely be going to public school and our district only does half day Kindergarten.  Yes, he's used to being away from home all day, but actually having to have a structured day all day is going to be tough on him.  But, on the other hand, he just might do better with the more individualized attention that he could get from smaller private school classes and structure.

Anyhow, those are musings for another day.  It's after 9:00 already and I really should head into work as early as I can since I was less than able to get anything done this evening at home like I'd hoped.

Peace to all and may you not be slamming your head into brick walls....

Oh, here's the last picture from yesterday.  Like I said, the theme was "letter".  All I could really keep thinking about was "P".  I wasn't going to take this picture, but it kept poking at me all day.  So I gave in.  No, it's not actually pee.  It's just a few drops of yellow food coloring in the bowl.  Yeah, I know.... bad pun... not even a very good photo.



No comments: