Monday, December 12, 2011

Holly Jolly Weekend!

Well, maybe not 100% "holly jolly" but it was a holiday spirit filled weekend.
Even if a boy-o didn't want to/didn't actually nap at all.

Saturday while the boy bounced off the walls in his room instead of napping I managed to get the living room "cleaned".  (I found ever horizontal surface again except for the computer desks, put lots of things away/threw stuff out, dusted, washed the sliding glass door and even vacuumed!)  Boo's room also got picked up and put back down.  Not without much grumbling on my part because he hadn't napped and was very much into "silly tired boy" mode.  We also managed to get all the holiday decorating stuff up from the basement.  Including the long-awaited return of Boo's train that we put under the tree last year.  The tree, however, did not get put up Saturday because the boy-o did not nap, did not even pretend to nap and there was no way I was going to deal with tired bouncing boy while I was trying to "fluff" the tree.

Sunday was another no-nap day for the boy.  And I feel like I spent almost the entire day in the kitchen.  I'm not really complaining about that though.  I slept in a little and got the tree set up and was just finishing "fluffing" it when the boy-o woke up.  He didn't wake up until about 8:00.  I think that's a record for him in recent months!
Anyhow, he had fun helping me hang ornaments on the tree.  There is one corner of the tree that's very heavily ornamented.  That's Boo's corner where he wanted to stick every single thing.  I realized that for being on this planet 36 years now, I really don't have that many "special" ornaments any more.  I know of several I used to have that got broken.  Or I left with Mom.  Most of the ones I do have are yearly ones Mom creates with a photo of Boo.  Yeah, I think we'll have to start fixing that.  (Although, the one ornament that I was extra happy to put on the tree this year is the one Michelle got me from the US Embassy in Ottawa.)  I tell you, I really do have a kitty-cat boy though.  He kept batting at the ornaments he put on the tree just like you'd expect a kitty to do.  It was so darn cute.

Then, after some minor drama (and pancakes!), we all head out to the grocery store to pick up a few essentials and a few extra ingredients for cookies.  By the time we got home, it was after 11 already!  I get the groceries away and then the boy-o and I mix up a batch of sugar cookies to put in the fridge to get stiff enough to roll.  Then I make "star soup" for lunch.  (2 cans chicken broth, 1 diced carrot, some pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder and a box of pasta stars.  I also added a few ounces of grilled chicken breast strips for me and Gak.)  Boo willingly eats chicken and star soup for the ladies at daycare.  He even willingly started to eat mine (I made sure he had plenty of broth and no chicken or carrots...).  Gak and I top ours with a little shredded mozzarella and seeing that, Boo decided he wants some too.  But then the cheese melts.  And the melt-down begins.  After a little more drama, I summarily toss him into his bed.  Nope, no nap yesterday either.  At least he was mostly quiet and calm yesterday.

While the boy was "napping" I made some triple ginger ginger snaps.  Wow were they good.  Trader Joe's, you'd better watch out.  These were as good or better than yours.  I hid away about half to bring in to the cookie exchange at work (that's a whole other load of drama...) and the other half are hidden so Gak and I don't inhale them in no time flat.  I'm glad I only made a half batch though, I managed to get 85 cookies out of it!

After I finally let Boo up from his non-nap, we finish the sugar cookies.  An adventure as always, but they're yummy.  Then it was time to clean up the kitchen yet again and get ready to make dinner.

So, yes, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen yesterday and only have two batches of cookies to show for it.  Oh well.  They're yummy!

I also spent some good quality time with yarn over the weekend and only have the finishing touches to put on a big project I've been working on for quite some time now.

Peace to all and may your weekends be merry and yummy and filled with holiday goodness.

No comments: