Thursday, March 11, 2010

Muddling Through

Well, the week has almost come and gone again and I've left this spot pretty blank.  It's actually been a pretty uneventful week overall.
Tuesday evening my swim class went well... swimmingly.  We've got to figure out Tuesday dinners a little bit better though.  It just seems a bit chaotic.  I should probably just have a snack when I get home and fix the boys something bigger when I get home.  Of course, then I won't get anything until about 9:00 when I get home.  I'll have to think on this some.  (I refuse to turn it into "Chick-fil-a night" even though I really want to, neither my wallet or my (shrinking) waist line can afford it...)
I was supposed to do the laundry yesterday evening, but I forgot... I have a 4:00 meeting every other Wednesday now.  You see, I was crazy enough to volunteer to be on the Activities Committee.  It meets every other Wednesday, so there goes my nice easy plans for laundry.  Oh well.  I'll do it tomorrow and then we'll figure it out from there.  I like the idea of not having to do it on the weekends so I can spend more time with both of my boys, but I may have to go back to Sundays.  It's also nice to do it mid-week because the place is almost empty.
Work continues to go.  I keep trying to find the bright spots and keep engaged with what I'm doing, but it's been pretty hard recently.  It's only going to get worse before it gets better with the weather turning warmer.  Oh well. I've got a couple of big projects that should keep me out of trouble (or get me into more trouble if I can't stick to them!).  I just wish I could figure out that mysterious work/life balance that so many people talk about.  I'm at work and I miss my family and wish I could be home with them, or anywhere with them.  Then when I'm at home, or leave on time every day and never put in any extra hours, I feel like I should be doing more for work.  It really is a no-win situation.  Oh well, my boys don't seem to be suffering too badly for my time at work and well, work is work and I'm hopefully holding my own.

I would like to clarify my rant of the books from the other day a bit.  It's not so much the fact that it's a guide to all the girly-girl things in life, but more the implication that "boys can be great at anything" and that girls just want and need to be pampered and don't care about achieving greatness, only looking good.  I totally understand that there are girls out there who truly want to be a girly-girl and experience all the "finer" things in life and things like that.  But, not all of us girls are like that.  Yes, I had a couple of Barbies as a girl, I believe all of them were gifts (but once I had some, I had to have clothes for her...).  Sure, I read the magazine, but partially because I'd read just about anything you put in front of me.  I never wanted to be Barbie, I didn't even really like her much.  I'll admit I had as many Strawberry Shortcake dolls as I could get and a good number of My Little Ponies as well, but they were much more fun to play with and have adventures with.  I also devoured almost every Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on.  (I really liked Nancy, wasn't so big on her one strawberry-blonde friend who was much more a girly-girl).  I mostly just worry that more and more these days the only media images that our girls are getting are such plastic, unthinking, unrealistic images.  (Of course, what we're teaching boys isn't always much better, but at least we expect them to be rough and tumble and to be achievers... sometimes too much so...)  The only positive image I can think of is "Ugly Betty".  I'll admit, I've only watched most of one episode (where she took on the fashion magazine editors), but I liked what I saw, mostly.  (I mean, why can't you be smart and pretty and not skinny?)
Ok, I'm going to get off my soap box now.

I'd best get back to my project, I just needed a short break.
Peace to all and may your weeks be uneventful and listen to your inner voices.

No comments: