Monday, March 08, 2010

Swimming and Other Weekend Things

This weekend started out swimmingly.  Quite literally.  Saturday morning was the first of Boo's swim classes.  To say we had fun would be an understatement.  I didn't get very many big giggles from him, but he was smiling and splashing and enjoying himself most of the time.  There were about 20 little ones under the age of 2 signed up for the class, so it was broken down into two groups.  Boo, being 21 months was just young enough to not be automatically put with the 2-year-olds, but older than many of the littler ones, who were all around 15-18 months.  The one instructor asked me how comfortable he was with the water, and remembering how long it took him to like the idea of the pool and the death-grip he kept on my arms, I said not very, so we went with the younger crowd.  Boo proved me wrong in almost an instant.
The only time he fussed was when we first got to the locker room and I asked him for his jacket.  He was so not thrilled with the idea.  He was a little dubious about the pool at first too, but I took him to the top of the ramp where they have some little water jets to show where the top is.  He gave me this really confused look at first, but quickly warmed up to them.  Once class started he couldn't get enough!  We had a very good half hour or so.
Unfortunately, we couldn't linger at the end of class.  I had to get us changed and out pretty quick.  The family locker room only has 4 changing rooms and with over a dozen parents and well... it was a bit crowded.  I eventually gave up on finding a changing room for me (I had no issues changing Boo in the middle of the locker room on one of the chairs...), so I did the camp thing of dressing and undressing at the same time.  I wouldn't have cared in the ladies locker room, but I really didn't feel like offending any of the fathers who were there.  I'm sure they all would have understood, but.... Anyhow, we got changed and on our way.
I dropped Boo off at the bowling alley where Zoe was finishing up her Saturday league.  Mel and Ant were there as was Grammy and Aunt Eileen.  All the kids were going to go to Burger King after bowling and then over to Zoe's school, where the authors of the Berienstien Bears was giving a talk and signing books.  Yes, in some of the older books Poppa Bear looks like a dofus, in most of the newer cartoons I've seen, he's often the level headed one that encourages both the cubs to try their best and is a good role model.  Take that for what it's worth.  (In other words, be the parent and know what you're reading/showing to your kids...)

After dropping off Boo, I drop off the truck with Gak.  Joan, Kat and I then go to Ray Sr's funeral.  It was a very beautiful funeral.  Don't get me wrong, it was a very sad event as Sr. was only a few years older than my own mom and he's left a gaping hole in his family and his community, but it was a good funeral.  There was at least one truck from most of the area fire companies.  There was both a Navy and a VFW honor guard.  In a very moving gesture, two of the ladder trucks from local companies created an arch over Broad Street with an American flag that the procession drove under, as you can see in the not-so-great picture I took with my phone.  All the police, fire police and firefighters along the way were standing at attention as the truck passed.  It was a little cold in the shade and wind at the cemetery, but it was a beautiful day.  It was good to see people I hadn't seen in way too long, but I wish it had been under better circumstances.  Hopefully there will be a couple of picnics this summer and we'll get a chance to catch up then.
After the gathering at the fire house, We pick the kids up at Zoe's school and Joan and her crew head home.  The rest of us head back to Kat's house and meet up with Gak.  Scott came over and we hung out and had dinner and just relaxed.  So, it was a good day, even if there was a sad reason for the gathering.

Sunday was nice and low key.  I wish it hadn't been so muddy out, or I would have taken Boo to the park.  Sunday we ended up having breakfast over at Spor's and then grocery shopping.  Gak went over to the Q-mart later in the day, but other than that, we just kinda stayed around the house, picked things up a bit and relaxed.  That was much needed by everyone.
Well, I'd better get back to work, as my lunch is almost over.

Peace to all and may your play time be fun and your gatherings friendly.

No comments: