Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Trip to the Theater

Well... ask and thou shalt receive.
Yesterday I was really feeling the ugh of not having gone and done anything in ages. Well, I forgot that back in September some time, Kat sent me a message about Mary (Andy's, Kat's Ex, baby sister) being in her college play and wanting everyone to come up. I said sure, figuring her mom could watch Boo for a few while Gak finished up at work.
Well, I totally forgot about it with the ick of reporting month.
Oh, and my phone just randomly died yesterday. (I'll have a replacement by Tuesday...)
So, no one could find me until they called Gak. After a panicked few phone calls, I grab Boo, run through the Burger King drive through and scarf my dinner while I wait for Kat and Andy to pick me up. Boo and Gak had a good evening at home and Kat, Andy and I drove 2 hours in driving rain to go see a play.
I would have enjoyed the evening even if the play had been horrible.
But the play wasn't horrible. I was very impressed by them. Especially considering how small a school Mary goes to. It was great to get out of the house without the boys. (Although, I do wish Gak had been able to go, he would have enjoyed it and theater is his "thing" after all...) It was great to see people I haven't seen in quite some time. I'm really beginning to enjoy Mary now that she's actually "grown up" a bit. I'll admit, when I met her when she was a very small child (2nd child of a 2nd marriage) I just wasn't into her much. She's grown up nicely though.
The play was The Women of Locherby and was a play dealing with grief and tragic events and how it affects people. It takes place 7 years after Pan Am 103 and focuses on an American couple who lost their 20-year-old son and 5 of the Locherby women and their various stories and healing, grief, faith, love and hate. It was very moving and very well done; I don't think there was a dry eye in the house by the time it was done. Of course, being a parent of a baby boy (yes, he will always be my baby) it was very moving... but I've always responded emotionally to things like this. Betty, Mary's mom, said she couldn't even help Mary read lines getting ready for the play. I think this one will haunt me, in a good way, for a while. It's been 2 years and 4 days now since Gak's father died. While not as tragic as the plane crash, it was still fairly sudden and unexpected. Some scenes were very difficult, but cathartic in a strange way. Of course, a lot of the scenes with the mother were hard for me to watch. I still have my son.... but sometimes, like then, the memory of what could have been with the miscarriage intrudes. (Although, if that one had gone to term, I wouldn't have Boo, but some other baby and that's a hard thought too....)
Anyhow, the boy is sleeping, and I should go at least veg out on the couch and possibly nap myself. We got home around 12:30 in the morning and I was up by 7:30, so I'm a little tired.

Peace to all and may your family be healthy, and your heart at peace.

No comments: