Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Puzzles and Games

Yesterday was two very different days.
The work day was very rough. The evening was a lot of fun.
I knew work was going to be a tough haul when I get in at 7 (my normal start time on Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and it took me an hour to get connected to the network because they had to reboot some servers and I had to reboot about 4 or 5 times. Also, I've been working with a very nice customer on a very tricky problem because there just aren't that many sites like his. And I can't figure out what's wrong. And there's all kinds of pressure from above to get this right because they're parent company has threatened to go with other software. And did I mention I can't figure out where things are wrong?
Oh, and they're adding a new door to the outside world in the break room (so no one will have to walk through the shop when they come in or leave) and that means I can't refill my water, use the fridge or anything? Nothing major, just very annoying. Especially since the estimated downtime will be about 2 weeks. Ugh.

On the upside though, I had a very nice evening over at Bob and Linda's. Mom, Boo, Mel and I all headed over there shortly after I got off work. We had a very nice dinner and some nice conversation. After dinner, Boo was quite happy to play by himself on the floor (there were all kinds of things to explore...) and the rest of us played two games of Rummikub. I hadn't played in ages, but I remembered fairly quick. Mel was a pretty quick study too. I won the first round and mom won the second.
It felt right. Here it was, a nice summer evening and we were with family and friends playing games out on the porch. (Actually, their "porch" has been turned into a very nice, very large sun room... perfect for gatherings.) In some ways it was a bitter-sweet moment. So many memories of my Gram (and even Mum Mum) were made on the porch playing games. It was wonderful to remember, but sad because she wasn't there to play with us.
She's been on my mind a lot lately. When I first got home yesterday Mom asked me where a recipe was. I told her it was probably on the table. But I got out the box from Gram. Gram hated to cook, but she loved collecting recipes. I inherited a whole box full for my wedding present. Mind you, this is just one card box full out of at least 3 or 4 that she had. She only ever made a handful of things from any of the recipes. Some of them are just scary. Anyhow; Mel, Mom and I had a good time laughing over some of them while I was looking for one of the recipes. (I couldn't find that card, but it was in the family cookbook that was put together for our wedding.)
So, yeah, Gram's been on my mind a lot. I think part of it has to do with the fact that I have been talking to Dorothy (Bobbie's daughter) about using the beach house at the end of September. Maybe it's because of all the tough things I've had to fight through with work and such lately. Maybe because it's summer and that's when we got to spend the most time together and were able to have the most fun.
I don't know, but I do know that I miss her horribly. Every day.

Anyhow, it's almost 7 and I'd better get my butt in gear if I want to make it to work by 8 like I'm supposed to. Here's hoping the network works and I can finally figure out what the heck is wrong at the site.

Peace to all and may your work days go easy and your evenings be full of laughter.

No comments: