Sunday, November 23, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday.  In March I will be 1/3 of a century old.
Yes, this means that I turned 33 today.
No, that's not old compared to some, but older than others.
It's been a good birthday over all.  On Friday I got my gifts from my dear husband and son.  They got me the 3-disk Peanuts holiday movie set.  So, I now own the Great Pumpkin, the Thanksgiving and the Christmas shows.  They are my favorite holiday shows.  They also came with 10 or 12 free music tracks, which is great, as I love the music from Peanuts.  They also got me a set of bamboo crochet hooks in sizes G through N.  I used the H earlier today and am using the G now.  They're very nice.  They're light weight, smooth and have the head shape that I like.  (The Susan Bates "notch" style as opposed to the Boye rounded style.)  They seem to be working well with good old worsted weight acrylic.  (I'm using up some of my stash yarn on holiday gifts for some of the kids.)
Last night we all went out to dinner.  Originally Kat's mom was going to watch Boo, but she had to work and Andy was watching Zoe and he's just not comfortable watching such a little guy any more.  That's OK, I understand.  We weren't going anywere too fancy anyhow, so Boo got to come along.  Remember a while back I mentioned that I got some rewards from work for making customers happy.  Well, I used one of my gift certificates last night.  Our bill came to $52 before tip, so it only cost us $10 to have a nice dinner out.  Boo was good through most of it, but we didn't time it quite right and he was getting fussy and a bit hungry at the end and I didn't bring a bottle.  (If I'd brought a bottle, he wouldn't have wanted it... but since I didn't....)  He got quiet once we got into the car, so we stopped at the book store.  I bought two books for Boo for the holidays and Gak one as well.
Today was mostly a low-key day.  Boo let me sleep in by about 45 minutes.  We had a good and semi-lazy morning.  I then ran some errands around noon.  I had to go pick up brake parts (I need breaks soon on the truck and Andy is going to do them for me...) and a little bit of grocery shopping.  After Boo's next nap, we headed over to Aunt Kat's to hang out a bit and maybe get the breaks done today.  Well, it turns out that we'll be getting the breaks done Tuesday, as Andy's car needed a little more work than he thought.  That's OK.  I don't need the breaks right this second, but definitely before it's inspected.  And since I already have the parts, it'll be a pretty quick job Tuesday.  I also got a great call from my brother.  It is always good when I get the chance to catch up with him.  He was agonizing over the bad Eagles game and was lamenting the fact that he introduced Becca to being a Philadelphia sports fan.  The Phillies this year are an exception to the rule.  We're very good at "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".
I really don't want to go to work tomorrow.  But, that's just because I don't want to go to work and would rather be on a weekend.  Boo is going to go to daycare tomorrow afternoon because GrammaSue isn't feeling well.  I totally understand her not wanting to take care of a busy almost 6-month-old (eek!) when she's not feeling well.  This just means Boo will actually hae 3 days instead of 2 at day care this week.  That's still one less than normal.  (I think Christmas week, he'll only be in one day since I have Christmas Eve and Christmas off, and I'm taking the day after off as well.)
Anyhow, we introduced Boo to apples.  We gave him some applesauce the other day and today as well.  I tried it.  My word is it sweet!  The ingredients are "Apples and water needed for processing" but wow!  can we say sugary sweet?  Boo wasn't so sure about it.  I wasn't either.  I think I'm going to make some homemade apple sauce up and make sure it's pretty smushed up.  We also introduced him to solid apples.  Thursday I ran down to BabiesRUs on my lunch break and picked up the mesh bag thingies I liked (the mesh bag is white, not technicolor) as well as a couple of sweatshirts and a pair of khakis for the boy.  He attacked the mesh bag like no tomorrow, but wouldn't hold it himself.  He'd hold my hand, but wouldn't grab it.  He didn't get very much out of it, but that's OK.  He did a great job chewing and I'm sure he'll get it sooner or later.  We'll see how he does Thursday with baked sweet potato.  (Properly cooled down to almost room temperature of course!)  Today while we were at Aunt Kat's he ate 3 Tb of cereal with 2.5 oz of milk and almost half a container of sweet potatoes!  He thought about nursing for a minute, but then decided he was full and didn't want a drink.  That boy is going to eat me out of house and home before he turns one!  Oh well.  it just means he's growing and is healthy.  He's not putting on too much weight and is keeping pace both in height and weight.  I'm just glad he's taking to eating well.  I know he'll be getting mostly milk for at least another 6 to 8 months, but it is nice to have him be able to get some extra here and there from other sources.

Anyhow, it is just about 9:00 and I'd better get going to bed.  Oh, I almost forgot.  The picture at the top of the post is Boo's very first fridge art!  One of the ladies at the center spent a couple of days tracing the babies' hands and creating these adorable little turkeys!  I almost cried when I picked his up.  I didn't know they were doing it and it's just amazing.  I'm amazed at both how big and how little his hand is.  It is defiantly his hand.  It is so cute.  I love it.

Anyhow, I've got to get going.
Peace to all and may you have good days and wonderful family days.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Happy Birthday! :)