Sunday, September 02, 2007

Photo Time!

You are getting a rare treat. I've actually posted all but two photos I took in Colorado to my Flickr. Yes, usually I take several more than get posted. I only took a few this week so you get to see almost all of them. They have been cropped and made presentable in PhotoShop, but that's only because I refuse to post total crap.
A few highlights for those who don't wish to meander over to Flickr though.
On Friday morning I had a bit of time after I was finished packing and before I had to head to the airport. I was staying in Golden, CO and I knew there were several parks and things nearby. (More than just the Coors Brewing Company...) I followed a sign labeled Lookout Mountain/Buffalo Bill's Grave. It turned out to be an interesting drive.

This is why I love Colorado. I had driven for about 15 or 20 minutes up. The road was single lane in each direction and had some switchbacks I wouldn't have wanted to do with that van I had in California. The posted speed limit was 20 MPH and they meant it. You could go a little faster, maybe 25 or 30, in areas, but as soon as you did, you'd hit a switchback and have to slow to 15. I took this from the parking lot of the Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave Site.

I didn't plan on going here, I just ended up here. Growing up, I'd heard of him, probably even read a bit about him in school. I got there with real mixed thoughts about the guy. I'm not sure my thoughts are any clearer, but I think I understand a bit more. I have to say, I honestly don't think he was a 'bad' man. From reading things said by his peers, he really did respect everyone who worked with and for him. I think he was truly a 'westerner' and became a mountain man, but more enlightened than we give most of them credit for. Yes, he probably did some bad things, but everyone does. Yes, he killed lots of buffalo, but he also owned a herd to protect them too. Yes he fought Indians, but then he hired them to work in his show.

Anyhow. Enough of that. Here is where he is laid to rest beside his wife. He'd been to the Denver parks (his sister lived in Denver) and decided this would be the best place to be his final resting spot. I agree. The view is magnificent and the land is peaceful and not crowded. (Although, the view has been encroached upon by some tall radio towers, but that's modern life for ya.)

The graves are covered, not with marble, but with fist sized chunks of raw quartz. When the sun hits each piece just right they glow. Some glow white, others pink or yellow. It was truly stunning.

I found this sign on my walk over to the grave site. I had to chuckle at it. I love what it says, although I've been known to abscond with a small rock or dead driftwood stick from time to time from parks. I know, if everyone did that there would be nothing left. I don't do it often and much smaller things than most people would even think of. But what I had to giggle at was how many people had made their mark on the sign. It seemed somehow ironic or apt or something. I'm not sure of the right word, but it fit.

In other news, Gak and I finally went out for dinner for our anniversary last night. It was the first time we'd been on a 'date' of any kind, unless you count going to see Transformers since, oh, I don't know, the first of the year? It was nice to just take time to be with my honey and relax. I do love him so. I miss him so much when I'm not home and never show him I love him enough when I am home.

He has started his new job officially today. Oh, wait, I'm not sure I told you guys about that. I'm pretty sure I didn't, now that I think about it. Well, he's moved next door and is working at Game Stop. I honestly don't remember the title he's got, but his in the management team so he's not just a shlub of an associate. He's making a good bit more money and working a full 40-hour week now. If things go well, he'll be making even more and possibly managing his own store within the next 3 years. I'm not going to hold my breath because that's in the future and who knows what that brings. He was both happy and sad to be leaving the UPS store. He really enjoyed working for Mike, but he just couldn't give him the hours we needed him to have or the money. This truly is for the best. Mike understands that and as much as he hates loosing Gak, knows Gak made the right decision. This should be a fun adventure.

I think that just about wraps it up from me. I've got to get a few things done around the house before I go pick up Gak, including getting the grocery shopping done.

Peace to all and may you find pretty places to soothe the soul and meaningful things in the rest of the world.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

That first picture is beautiful.