Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Things That Bug Me

I'm feeling in a bit of a rant mode. Over the past few days I've come across a few things that bug me more than others.
Most of them are petty little annoyances like people who don't pull up far enough in on-street parking and force my truck to take up two spots. Or people that don't think you mean it when you have your signal on because you're going to park, not turn at the corner 3/4 of a block away.
What really bugs me today is the fact that, as much as I want to support my local bookseller, I can't afford to.
I believe I mentioned Gak and I weren't going to get our books until today. This is because we pre-ordered them from the book store across the street. Gak has some credit there from trading in some used books, so we figured it wouldn't be too expensive. Well, Gak goes to pick them up today. They're $30 each and he can't use his store credit (because it's a brand new book). Uh... Gak only has $25 on him. I won't be home until after they close tonight. Therefore, Gak is going to go pick up at least one copy at Kmart where they're selling them for less than that. Admittedly, $30 is less than the cover price of $34. You can order them from Barnes and Noble for about $25 after shipping. I wanted to support the little book store on the corner, but I just can't afford to. I also can't wait for the book. I mean, I know I physically could, but I really am excited about reading it. It's just a shame that I have to go somewhere else. (I'm also a little cranky by the fact that if I'd known this was the case, Michelle, Gak and I would have gone to the book store on Sunday and picked up copies then.
So, trying to do the better thing and support local businesses but not being able to afford to is a big thing that bugs me. I understand how hard it is for them, my parents are business owners and I see the ups and downs they go through.
There were a few other little things that people do that bug me, but I can't remember them right now. I guess that means that they don't bug me enough to really worry about. (It probably has something to do with carry-on luggage or novice travelers going through security...)
Well, I'd best be getting back to work. I've got a few things to wrap up today before I'm out of the office for about the next week or so.
Peace to all and may you be able to support your local businesses!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I know what you mean, we try really hard to stay away from the big box stores, but sometimes it's hard. For instance, we've managed to avoid setting foot in Mall-Wart in the over two years since we moved to Columbia. Sometimes we've had to go as many as five different places to find something that I know they have at WM, and then end up having to pay more for it when we finally find it. I understand the reasons behind the price difference, and I prefer that the people who work for the stores I frequent are able to make a living wage, but it's hard when you're worried about paying your mortgage. *sigh*