Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dad

Today I'm thankful for my dad.  I'm thankful that I've had another year with him around and in my life.  Yep, today is his birthday.

Yes, his health has deteriorated a lot this year.  Yes, his Alzheimer's is really taking its toll lately.  He's had some really bad days, but then he'll have a string of better days.  It's up and down back and forth, but generally in a downward slide.  Some days when we go over to see them it just breaks my heart having the same conversation three or four times in a row.  But, then I see him with Boo and how well they get along and truly enjoy being with each other and my heart melts a little and I will keep those memories forever.
His nerve pain is better some days and worse others.  When he's in pain, those are the days that are hardest on his memory.  When his pain meds are working and he's having a good day, he's having a good day.
But, just like with the memory issues, the pain issues are probably on a downward slide as well.

I'm thankful for everything he's ever done for me.  And I'm thankful that my son loves his PopPop as much as he does.  And most of all, I'm thankful that he's been here for another year.  I love him so very much.

Peace to all and may you have as much time as you can with the people you love.

No comments: