Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Funk

Maybe it's the changing of the seasons.  Maybe it's been the hectic, crazy times at work.  Maybe it's the fact that despite the fact I've been sleeping pretty well recently I still can't focus worth a damn and still feel exhausted.
Whatever it is, I've been in a bit of a funk.
I shouldn't be.
Friday we had a wonderful dinner with our friends Ted and Lonnie.  They're our Canadian friends who have a box at Gak's UPS store for mail.  It was a great evening with great food and great adult conversations.  Of course, Boo did show off for a bit, but that's expected.  They even brought us seasons 1 and 2 of "Big Bang Theory".  Very funny.  It hits a little too close to home some days, both from being the "geek/nerd/smart one", to being the "normal" one surrounded by geeks/nerds/brains.  And Sheldon is way too much like a friend of mine for comfort.
Saturday was a good day too.  It was Gak's birthday.  He had to work and Boo and I had to do laundry and our normal Saturday things.  However, Boo was able to go play at Aunt Kat's for the evening and Gak and I went and had ourselves a nice dinner.  We went early and we didn't go far, so we weren't gone long, but it was quite enjoyable.  We just went to the Spinnerstown Hotel.  Thinking back, I'm not sure we'd actually eaten there since our rehearsal dinner!  I used to eat there all the time.  And it's not like it's out of the way or anything, we pass it every time we go to Kat's!  The rest of the evening was spent hanging out with the clan at Kat's.  Boo even ate some matzo ball soup!  (Of course, Zoe was eating it and he mostly just ate the soup, but I don't really care, he ate something that wasn't his normal.)
Sunday was a great day too.  My aunt Beverly is out east from California to visit my cousin Ben, his wife Jenny and their two boys Daniel and Ethan.  Daniel just turned 3 a week before Gak's birthday.  Ethan was 6 months yesterday.  So, the Sugerman clan came up to visit and have a nice lunch at my parent's house.  It was great to see everyone.  Even though they only live outside Baltimore, we don't get together near enough.  Roo and Boo had a good time playing together and being pre-shool/toddler boys together.  It was a madhouse, but a fun one.  Daniel still impresses the socks off me.  He's just now three but really is truly a reader and a writer.  My parents gave him "10 Apples Up on Top" for his birthday.  And he promptly read it cover to cover with only a few stumbles.  Go Daniel!  It would be neat for Boo to be reading that well that early, but we're figuring he'll get there around age 4 or so.  Probably before Kindergarten, especially if he's like me.  (I was about 3.5 when I started reading for real.  It was more like realizing what I was doing... and I was reading Nancy Drew in Kindergarten...)
Anyhow, after the cousins left (Aunt Beverly was staying for a visit) Gak and I left Boo with the adults (funny how I have a hard time putting myself in that category even though I have a 2-year-old and will be 35 next month...).  Gak and I took a trip to Barnes and Noble to use the gift card he got and then to Trader Joe's to pick up a few odds and ends.
Monday was a good day too.  Boo went to daycare because Amma was playing with Aunt Beverly.  Aunt Beverly, PopPop and Amma all came up to our house for dinner.  Gak didn't join us, but he and the guys were in the middle of a campaign and that's OK.  Gak did spend time with the family on Sunday.  Again, we had a nice visit and Boo showed off.  I fixed a nice dinner and everyone enjoyed it.
Yesterday I even managed to get all the pictures downloaded from the camera and edited and uploaded to Flickr.  Amazing.

Yet, I'm still in a bit of a funk.  Things at work are going well, but not quite.  We were making a huge improvement in case load and getting ahead of the curve quite nicely, but the last few weeks we've slipped, and we're just about to head into reporting month.  If we'd managed to keep pushing hard these last 2 weeks, I think I'd feel better about where we are and where we're heading. Oh well, I'm sure we'll be able to come out the other side of this month in really good shape even with this minor set back.
Things are going well at home.  Gak and I have been able to actually spend time together, and not just while asleep.  We've been able to do things together and talk and just hang a bit.  Boo's growing by leaps and bounds and even though he really can push buttons from time to time, is an awesome, happy, smart, fun little boy.

Oh well.  I'd better wrap this up and get dressed for work.  It's an early day.

Peace to all and may your weekends be full of friends and family and your funks few.

No comments: