Monday, May 31, 2010

Birthday and Memorial Time!

Happy Memorial day.  I hope everyone took time to give thanks to those who have given so much to ensure our safety and freedoms.
We celebrated by having a picnic and celebrate Boo's second birthday!  Yep, that's right, my boy turns 2 tomorrow!  Where does the time go?
Actually, I guess I should back up to last night.  Last night Boo and I spent down at Amma and PopPop's house.  Boo slept on the trundle bed, with enthusiasm actually, and I slept on the day bed in Amma's sewing room.  Poppa decided to stay home and get some stuff done around the new apartment.  Boo and I were staying there so that we could go swimming with Amma in the morning.  Boo slept very well, me, not so much as usual.
Anyhow, in the morning Boo spent a little time reading with his PopPop, something enjoyed by everyone.  Then we went to Amma's Y to go swimming.  Boo had a grand time.  He was a little fussy now and again, but over all did very, very well.  I had a lot of fun and it was great to catch up with Erin.  I really like her and have fun talking with her when I get the chance.  I think the difference was that this pool is much warmer than our pool.  Our pool stays a bit on the cool side due to swim team.  Oh well.  In the summer he'll be glad for the cool temperatures of outdoor pools when it's hot and sticky out.
After swimming the three of us went out to breakfast and my boy at like a horse!  He ate a good bit of my pancakes (they had strawberries in them, but he didn't want those parts...), half my orange juice and most of a serving of frosted shredded wheat.  You'd think I never feed the boy!

Anyhow, after that he and I came home, and he napped in the car.  After we came home, we picked up Poppa and a few things, and headed over to Aunt Kat's.  Poppa and I then dissapeared to go pick up some boy birthday presents.  We probably spent too much again, but we only bought 1 thing that wasn't on the list and 2 things were actually replacements of things that were either lost or destroyed.  We got him a "sit-n-spin", which I'm pretty sure he'll love.  I hope it works well on the carpet, but I think it will.  We also got him a Sesame Street DVD (not on the list), a replacement Elmo, some Duplo blocks to replace those that were destroyed and a box of new crayons to replace the ones that were mutilated.  He got a really cool "Little People" castle set, Toy Story 3 race car and stacking block train from friends at the picnic.  I'm sure they'll all get played with well.

The picnic was a fabulous success.  I think we had over 20 people show up at various points in time.  It was great.  I wasn't planning on doing something big, but it was really nice to get everyone together.  Some of the best parts was the fact that my friend Ian from high school came with his daughter Lulu (who seemed to form a good friendship with Zoe and Katie and the others).  I hadn't seen Ian in well over 10 years, probably closer to 15.  It was nice to catch up a bit.  The other wonderful part is that Steve is home on leave for a few weeks and was able to stop by.  He brought the boy a Flyer's Orange shirt and shorts (both too big, but he'll grow into them.  The shirt fits well enough, but the shorts will probably fall right off his skinny butt.) as well as a new Phillie's T-shirt.  I thanked Uncle Steve profusely for the wonderful clothes.  It was a good thing too, because by the time Steve got there, Boo had managed to half drink, half spill a good bit of Poppa's iced tea down his front.
A pleasant surprise was Dave and the two kids showing up.  He said he would maybe come, so I figured it was a 50-50 shot.  It was nice to see him and the kids.
I think everyone had a good time.  There were several times when tempers got short, but I think the heat and humidity got the best of everyone at one point in time or another.  But, yes, it was a wonderful day.

In other news, Saturday and Sunday we finished moving out of the old apartment.  It sucked.  I'll freely admit I cried before the last time I shut that door.  I have so many good memories of that place and I still feel like our time there came to a close too quickly.  I turned in the keys Sunday after doing a quick cleaning.  Part of me would love to take her to court to try and recoup some of the losses we've had over the last few months, but the bigger part really just wants to see this done with.  We'll see how I feel about it in the morning.
The pictures I just posted on Flickr have some pictures of the new place I took before we moved anything in. It looks much more like a real home now that we have everything moved in, even if it's not unpacked.  A lot of it is, but that's the joy of being able to move a few things at a time and recycle boxes.  The bad thing is, I'd bumped up the air before heading out today, and well, it's now over 85 degrees in the apartment and not cooling down.  The air is moving slightly , but it's not cooling.  Gak is getting a fan and will be calling the landlord in the morning.  Ugh. I was so hoping to have a cool apartment to come home to.  Oh well.  It could be worse.

Anyhow, it's after 10:00.  I should try and get some sleep so I can go to work in the morning.  Go look at all the pictures I just put up on Flickr.

Peace to all and may your parties be good, your birthdays fun and your air conditioning working.

No comments: