Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Two Years

Two years.  That's how long it's been since my wonderful son made his entrance into the world, officially making me a momma, and Gak a poppa.  Sure, you could go back 9 months prior and say that was the beginning or this journey, but that's not true either.  The beginning could be when we started not preventing a pregnancy.  Or maybe even before that.  But, all stories need a beginning and it's up to the story teller to choose it, so I choose the moment of 10:34 am on June 1st, 2008 to start my story.  Because that's when Seamus really came to be, when he was taken from my womb and breathed his first breath.
I still can't believe exactly how far we've gone on this journey that in many seems like it's just begun, and in other ways seems like we've always been on it.  I will never forget seeing him for the first time, as the nurse held him up for me to see as my doctor stitched me back together.  His first cries still echo in my mind at times.  And the first moment I finally got to hold my sweet, precious boy.  Those are all very sweet memories.  There have been many more sweet memories than not on this journey.  I'm sure some of it is selective memory, but a good part of it is the fact that Boo really is a sweet little boy.
Sure, there was that night when he turned 2 weeks old when he woke us up every 45 minutes or so for the entire night, and didn't really go to sleep until almost 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  That was the day my mom and Beverly came to clean the house in preparation for Gak's mom to come out from Oklahoma.  There were the initial breastfeeding issues, the learning curve we both had to conquer.  But we both made it through and enjoyed that relationship for 14 months or so.  Now there's the stubborn battle of wills at times and the cranky tired boy who wants to be lazy and carried.  But the snuggles and the hugs and the smiles far outweigh the cranky moments.
I can't even begin to list all the milestones or achievements he's gotten to in his short life so far.  He now runs and tries to skip and jump and talks and giggles and eats (if he feels like it) and pretends and plays in so many ways.  He learns new things on an hourly basis it seems at times.  He's experimenting with letters and numbers, learning to say them and recognize their shapes.  He loves his books and will gladly tell you what the book is about and point things out.
I really can't wait to see where the future takes this little guy.  I love to watch the wheels turn in his head and in his eyes as he figures things out.  He's really changed our lives, and I truly can't imagine life without him.
So, here's to the future and our wonderful son!

Peace to all and may the birthdays be good, and the memories good.

No comments: