Saturday, May 08, 2010

Rolling Right Along

Well, it's been almost a week since I posted.  I'm sure the next few weeks are going to be a little sparse.
Part of it is I just haven't had much to say.  Part of it is I'm still neck deep in the chaos that is going on right now, and it's about to get worse for a couple weeks.  You see, we get the keys to the new apartment next Friday.  I'm both excited and sad about that.
I'm excited because we'll have a balcony, a kitchen with some nice amenities, central air and off street parking and someone who seems like a really cool landlord.  I'm sad because I really truly love this space.  I'm not so happy with the landlady (well, that's an understatement) and it's been growing over the last few years.  I'm going to miss the bench in the kitchen and the size of the kitchen, but not the lack of amenities.  I'm going to miss the nice built in shelves/cabinets in the boy's room and the hardwood floors and actually having a dining room.  But I'm going to enjoy having 2 bathrooms.  I'm going to miss, in a way, being right in downtown, but I'm not going to miss being only a block away from a pizza joint or one of the water ice places.  It makes being lazy too easy.  Although, Wawa will be about a block from the apartment when we move... but then again, so will West End Fire Company.  But, I'll take the good with the bad.

I really can't wait to get this move over with though.  If only so that Boo may have a better time of things.  He's been very out of sorts, and not the normal "terrible twos" out of sorts.  He's confused and not sure what's going on and prone to melting down when things are being moved around and out of place right now.  He's also all but given up on baths and has decided to scream through them, refusing to sit.  Therefore, he doesn't get one nearly as often as he should.  It started about 2-3 weeks ago now.  It's a little better, because he doesn't freak out if you tell him he needs one.  (Although, most of the time I don't tell him these days...)  He'll willingly follow me into the bathroom and watch me start the bath, and even happily run to his room to get undressed and then run back to the bathroom.  But, when it comes time to actually put Trey down and get into the tub... the screams come.  We had one good bath last Friday, after we got a new bath toy from Ted and Lonnie, customers at Jim's store who seem to have adopted us.  It's this really cool basketball hoop that suctions onto the tub wall.  It went well until he was a little too rough and pulled it off the wall.  Then all hell broke loose again.  Oh well, at least he let me get his hair washed (and the ick gone) while he happily counted and made baskets.  (Well, he mostly counted, sometimes it was just random numbers, but what do you expect from a 23-month old?)
I'd also like my son to start eating again.  Yes, I know I've lamented this before, but it's different right now.  It's not that he's just refusing things with protein or iron or vegetables, it's that he's refusing almost everything, including his beloved strawberries!  He's eaten even less quantity than usual this week.  Of course, I know he's not feeling 100% and he's had this nasty, soupy cough at night for most of the week.  He's had it some during the day too, but it's worse at night.  No, Benedryl hasn't helped.  I don't want to take him back to the doctor right away, but.... aargh.  And his 2-year checkup is in 2 weeks, so.... why couldn't he just wait until then?  Bah.
So, I'm hoping the move and the settling into the new place will help restore some of the balance in his life.  I know it won't stop the "terrible twos" from happening and trust me, when he gets frustrated or things aren't his way, he lets us know, loudly.

Today should hopefully be a good day.  Tomorrow should be fun too.  Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to buy a new pair of jeans and go to the movies with my boys.  Yep, we're taking Boo to his first movie.  We're finally going to go see "How to Train Your Dragon".  I can't wait.  It's a short movie and several people have told me that their 2-3-year-olds have loved it.  I hope Boo sits through most of it.  I mean, he'll actually watch an entire Sesame Street episode (which Gak uses to great advantage in the mornings, and I don't blame him one bit) when he wants to, so hopefully a 90-minute movie won't be pushing it too hard.  We'll hopefully also be going to Red Robin either before or after.  I think that's a great way to spend Mother's Day.  (Now to figure out what we're doing for dinner today after Gak gets off work....)

Anyhow, I'm off to get some other things done before the boy wakes.
Peace to all and may your weeks not be a blur and your weekends fun.

No comments: