Thursday, August 20, 2009

Stay Safe Steve!

Today begins one year of worry and unease lurking in the back of my mind at all times. My friend Steve is scheduled to head back to Iraq today. This is round number 3 for him this conflict, his fourth tour in total since he was there back the first time we went over there.
I hate that he's going. I hate that we have to send anyone over there. I accept that we do have to have people over there, at least for now. I just wish it didn't have to be Steve. Actually, in a way I'm glad it's Steve. No, not that I want to see Steve in harm's way or anything like that. He is my friend after all. No, I'm glad that it's Steve because if there is one person on this planet who will do what's right and what has to be done with all of his heart, it's Steve.
Good luck Steve and come home safe and sound. I do promise to write more this time, even if it's just about the fact that no, nothing's going on. We may not talk much or see each other much, but you have a place in my heart. Besides, you've got a nephew who will be chasing you around in circles next time you come home, you'd better be up for it!

And speaking of Boo, he's about a million times better. By the time I got home yesterday at lunch, his fever had pretty much broken. (And can I tell you exactly how nice it was to come home to lunch waiting for me?? That husband of mine is so very good to me.) Of course, since Boo was feeling better, he decided he didn't want a nap. He wanted to play. He was content to play on my bed for a little while, since the water bed is endlessly entertaining. Then he was content to play at my feet, trying to eat my phone or hide it... or crawling over to the bags of crochet projects I have at the head of the bed. (I was using my sewing table as my desk.) Of course he was getting into everything and making everything even more of a mess than it already was. He was babbling and "singing" up a storm. He must be related to my grandmother... she was always humming under her breath as long as I've known her. Both are truly happy souls.
Anyhow, I did manage to get him to nap around 4 and I did manage to get most of the word I needed to do done.
His fever was still gone this morning, so he's off to daycare today. Which, in a strange way makes me a happy mommy. Happy because my boy is healthy again. Now if only he'll eat dinner again... Oh well, that's another battle for another mealtime.

I'd better get back to work, I've got a few time sensitive things. I just wanted to note that today Steve was headed back to the sandbox and that my boy is feeling better.

Peace to all and may your loved ones be healthy, happy and safe.

No comments: