Saturday, August 08, 2009

Meds and Parties

Yes, I owe you a post... I have been quiet since Tuesday.
The thing is, I just don't have much to say..... well, maybe I do... I've just been too tired or lazy or something to post.
Anyhow, I mentioned a week or so ago that Gak had a doctor's appointment about his depression. Well, she gave him a new (to him) medicine to try. (He hadn't been on any in about 8 years....) She told him to take 1 in the morning for the first week and then one morning and evening for two weeks and then two in the morning and one at night after that. Well, we made it through the first week. He was becoming more spacy and twitchy and touchy. I couldn't say "could you get me a glass of water please" without him taking it personally that I was either being demanding or nagging. I was having a hard time not taking this personally, but did a very good job of keeping my trap shut.
Anyhow, last night was the first evening he was supposed to take a pill. He did... and wow what a disaster. As long as I've known him he's been twitchy. His one knee goes 50 miles an hour all the time. I'm mostly used to it, but it still gets to me from time to time.... like when he's shaking hard enough to make it hard to read my monitor. Well, with the new medicine it was getting worse, not better. And last night he had to log out of the game because he was shaking too hard to be able to target things. He actually slept on the couch he was so twitchy.
We talked a bit about it in the morning, about my concerns and about how he was feeling on the medicine (no, I don't remember which one and it's in the kitchen...). He decided not to take his pill this morning. By this afternoon when he got off work he said he was feeling the best he had all week. He's got a reminder in his phone to call the doctor Monday to tell her he went off it and to see if she's got any other bright ideas. We both agree that he could use at least a little medical help. While his depression doesn't seem (to me on the outside) quite as bad as it was a few weeks ago, it's still not playing nice and letting him live his life without his own shadow over everything.
Anyhow, that's the big news of the week. The parts job, so far, is full of boring and stupid things. There's got to be a better way. Of course, I still have no idea what I'll be doing in the long run or how everything will shake out between parts and customer support. I should be having my "mid-year" review sometime in the next month or so... as soon as I set it up. I fully plan on talking with my superviser about it. I plan to go in there with and idea of how I want things to go... and see what or even if he has any ideas.

This weekend is going to be packed. Today we had a small family picnic for Kat's mom. She turns 75 on Tuesday. It was a small gathering. It was really cool because we recently tracked down one of our friends from high school, Jen. She still lives in the area and was able to make it. It was great to see her again. We had wonderful weather and a good time.
Tomorrow we have another picnic to go to. (I told you it was a busy weekend.) This time it's one for Steve. My friend is heading back over to the sandbox for his 4th tour this war (5th overall, he was there the first time we decided to play in the sand over there...) and wanted to throw his "anual" picnic before heading out. I hate that he has to go. I'll worry about him until I get to see him again. But... unfortunately... I understand why he has to go. That doesn't mean I like it, but I understand. And if he didn't go, who would?

Well, I didn't really want to end this post on that, but... I think I'm out of things to say.
Peace to all, have fun and stay safe whatever your plans are.

Edit: I looked it up and the meds were Effexor (or however that's spelled.... no I didn't bring the bottle with me...)

No comments: