Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Well..... Bird Poo

Well, I think I've been standing still for more than my "15 minutes".  (This is one of the signs at the NJ Aquarium in the bird and hippo room.... Little did I know how appropriate it would be this week...)

Let me be blunt, because there's no way to sugar coat this one.  I'm in trouble at work and I'm not sure that there's a good way out.  You see, I haven't been doing my "job" to the best of my abilities (or barely the worst of my abilities some days) recently.  And by this I mean the training portion of my job.  Quite frankly, right now, I suck at it big time.  I don't want to do it, I don't like it and it shows.  Where I want to be and where the job needs me to be are almost diametrically opposed.  (I'll be impressed if I spelled that right without the spell check...)
After the stresses of last month, I've hit a brick wall with the service part of my job (which may or may not even really be in my job description...)  It shows.  The wall in service is a temporary thing.  I'll get past it in another few days once this cold clears and I can get a nap.  I still probably won't be performing at the top of my game, but I think that's more a reflection on the whole situation, not the service work.
Why am I telling you this now?  Well, it stemmed from a conversation yesterday with the business manager.  To make a long story short, it's in his best interest if I "resign my position".  Yep, that's right.  He wants me to quit.  Admittedly he's willing to give me 6-8 weeks (or however long HR will let him) to still work here and try and find something else.  He even suggested they "may" hire me back as a contractor.
If you ask me, the whole thing stinks to high heaven.
What am I going to do about this?  I haven't a clue yet.  It's a good thing I've started getting my resume together though.  Unlike some people around here, I haven't had head-hunters looking to steal me from here.  (Of course, my resume isn't out there anywhere at the moment.... but not even hints from customers.... and I know customers have made offers to at least one other person here...)
What I am trying to do is come at this rationally.  See what's in my, and my family's best interests.  In this case, company be damned.  As much as I like and respect this company and this product, at this stage of the game, I've got to do what's right for us.
So, that's where things stand.  I'd better get back to work before I get yelled at again.  Of course, I would deserve it because I'm not actually working and I'm at work.  (My attention span has been shorter than a gnat's lately..... and people have noticed...)

Peace to you all and may you not be placed between a rock and a hard place without a good climbing rope or a map.

P.S.  I did spell diametrically correctly the first time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Has he asked any other mothers of small children to resign? Or are you the only mother under him?

I know that the old manager did not put the travel stuff into writing before he left, but if I were you I would contact HR. To me it sounds like he is PO'ed because you have a child at home who is more important than the job.

This whole situation sucks

*hugs*

--Andy

Addey said...

Let's see... I'm the only mom of a child under the age of 7 in the entire office... so there are no other mothers of small children. There are a few guys in the office with small ones, but they either have non-travel jobs (production... "regular software support") or they've done it without complaint (at least where I can hear) and are expected to well... because they're dads...

And no, it's not that he's PO'ed that I have a kiddo at home who means the world to me. It's because in reality, me wanting to be home and the job that needs to be done aren't in line with each other. Whoever does this job must be able to travel and put in the extra hours that I can't or won't do. (That and someone who's a MUCH better manager than I am...)

(HR has been somewhat helpful, but when you work for a big corp, it's bound to be a little sticky...)