Sunday, December 07, 2008

Holiday Musings

I've had lots of things bouncing around in my head since Thursday.  Unfortunately, none of them have made it int electronic form.  For that matter, they haven't been staying in my own head that long.  Oh well.
Let's see... Friday I got a note back from Josi.  She does remember me and was wondering what had happened to me.  We've begun getting to know eachother again and learning what the other has been up to since we lived in Kansas together so many years ago now.  I'm just glad she remembers me and that I've been given the chance to get to know her again.  I've given her the basics of what I've been up to, but 20+ years is a long time to catch up on in one note!

Anyhow, on to the rest of the weekend.  Yesterday was sort of one of those days.  The morning started off well enough.  We got out of the house on time and laundry didn't go wrong.  What was really impressive was the fact that Boo took a nap that was just about 1.5 hours.  I didn't manage to get anything done really, but hey, it was nice for Boo.
Yesterday Gak did have one of those days at work.  And he's fighting off some kind of bug he thinks.  Joy.  He wasn't exactly the happiest camper when Boo and I went to pick him up.  That and there were some last minute people who were about to push him over the edge.  I didn't care, I made him go with me to the grocery store before going back home.
It was supposed to be a "guys night out" for Gak, Scott and possibly some others while Kat, Joan, I and the kids went to Hershey in the evening for the Hershey Christmas thing.  Well, because of the thread of snow, Scott got called in to work for midnight, so that canceled the guys night.  (That and Gak wasn't in a happy mood and just wanted to crawl under a rock and ignore the world for a while...) I still was taking Boo out to Hershey.
We were to meet at Kat's at 5.  Well, of course Joan was running late.  We eventually get our act together and out the door by about 6.  I'm getting a little frustrated because it's pretty close to Boo's eating time and I knew we would be on the road for well over an hour.  It was also beginning to snow.  Not much, some real fine stuff.  Anyhow, I had Joan, Ant, Zoe and Boo in the Durango.  Kat and Andy were in the Jeep.  (Unfortunately, we couldn't all fit in one car because I don't have the 3rd row of seats in the Durango...)  We take the back roads out for a bit and stop for gas and a bite for those that wanted it at WaWa.  It was getting icky out, so we'd been taking it slow.  We figured it would get better because we were about to get onto the highway.
Well, that didn't happen.  The highway was a sheet of ice and it goes up and down hill.  So, we decide to get off at the next exit and take the back way home.  In this case, the back way was actually safer than the highway.  Well, Kat's Jeep skidded at the end of the off ramp at the stop sign.  Fortunately, I was going a good bit slower and was able to stop.  Unfortunately, the man behind me wasn't able to stop.  Yep, he tried to put his little VW under the bumper of my Durango.  *sigh*  I've already had that bumper replaced once!  And I've only owned the truck just shy of four years now!  Oh well.  Such is life.  Everyone was OK and both cars were drivable.  Progressive takes care of these things quickly, so it shouldn't be too bad.  With any luck, it won't cost me anything.  Because the accident was either no-fault or the other guy's fault.  We shall see.  Of course, it didn't help that Boo was not being a happy camper even before the crunch.  Happily he fell back asleep about 15 minutes into the trek home.  Little harm, no foul.
Today was a good day over all.  Boo slept well all night, even with all the excitement and messed up schedule of the night before.  He even took a nice long nap again this morning.  Gak and I managed to get most of the Christmas shopping done as well.  This is probably the only year we'll be able to take Boo shopping with us for his presents.  We went to Target for most of the shopping.  Boo was able to give us approval of the things we were going to get him, and won't remember about them until he sees them again.  We also managed to pick up a gift for Gak's brother, who was one of the people we had no clue what to get them.  We also went over to the Q-mart to pick up some things for Zoe.  We managed to find a few things for Ant and a gift for my brother as well.  He was another of the "what do I get him" people.  So, there are a few odds and ends to pick up.  I've got a lot of crocheting to finish as well.  (Most people are getting something hand made this year.  Amazingly enough, I was able to get most things out of stash I already had!)

I must say, this is the first year in many years that I've been downright happy about Christmas.  It seems good this year.  It seems like a happy time.  Even though I'm all but broke.  Even though the economy in general is in the toilet.  Even though there are a lot of troubling things going on in the world.  I actually feel happy about the holiday season.
I think it's because I have a sweet, innocent little boy who doesn't see all the bad things, doesn't see the materialistic greed, doesn't know the hurt that can happen.  He just smiles and giggles and loves and grows.  He's not old enough yet to fully experience this time of year, or even really realize what's going on.  But, he can, and does, make me very happy.  I'm looking forward to sharing so many traditions and family things with him now and in the coming years.  He's really put the joy back into this season for me.
I must admit, and those that have known me for a while already know this, that I haven't been a Christmas person in a long time.  At least, not with the joy that the holiday deserves.  I looked forward to seeing the family and to some extent the giving and receiving of presents, but for the most part, all I could see was the commercialized monstrosity that this has become.  I let the marketing, and my dislike of it all, overshadow the good of the season.  I don't care what religion you are, what holidays you personally celebrate, any holiday season dealing with birth, rebrith or rededication is a happy, joyous time.  And for many years, that joy just didn't touch my heart.
This year it has, and I'm happy about it.  Everything is so much brighter and more beautiful.
And on that note, I'm going to wrap this up.  
No new pictures.  I didn't take too many this week and the camera is still in the car.

Peace to all and may the joy of the Thanksgiving and Holiday season bring joy to your heart.

No comments: