Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Spirit

I realized yesterday, that despite all my holiday posts, that I really wasn't in the Christmas (or any holiday for that matter) mood. The weather wasn't helping, it has been very warm for December and downright grey at times. Being on the road hasn't helped.
That's changed though, the presents are wrapped, we're going to my parent's tomorrow afternoon and I'm fixing dinner, (I'll explain in a bit...) and tonight we go to see my little bear of a niece in her pageant/nativity at church. The whole family will be there again, and it will be fun.
I did get my brother's and grandmother's gifts out on Thursday. Gram got hers yesterday. About 5:30 I get a call from her and I get "I love it, love it, love it, love it!!!" Apparently she liked the wrap I made her. I wasn't smart enough to take a picture of it before I sent it off. It's about 24" wide and over 5' long. I'd made one like it for myself back in September or October. I asked Mom if she thought Gram would like one and she said yes. I made hers out of a 'fuzzy' buccal or however you spell it, yarn in that goes from a light periwinkle blue to white. The color change is quite gradual, so there are only three repeats of the pattern in the whole wrap. Mine's a more 'functional' yarn in a light denim blue.
As far as dinner tomorrow, somehow I think I got shanghaied. I was planning on going down there and doing something simple, like maybe a brisket and kugle. (Pretty simple meal, put it in the oven and forget about it for a time...) Then we get a surprise gift from Al, who Gak works with. Well, kinda works with. Al is the owner's dad and 'volunteers' to work there Mondays and Fridays. We got a frozen 13 lb turkey. I don't have room for it in the freezer, so I've got to do something with it. Al, it turns out, received about 5 of them for free from his work, so was sharing the love. Well, so now tomorrow we get to go down by lunch and I get to cook a turkey myself for the first time. We'll see how it goes. I'm not doing stuffing. Found a recipe that says to shove an onion, some carrots, a celery stalk, an apple and an orange into the cavity and roast. Sounds like it could be nice and moist and have a bit of flavor. We will see. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Well, I think I'm going to go in game for a bit. I won't get any game time after tomorrow until the new year. I hope whatever holiday you celebrate this year is a good one. Peace to all.

No comments: