Thursday, November 09, 2006

Quick Update


Ok, I told you that my Gram had surgery earlier in the week. Well, she's still in the hospital and probably will be for another day or two. The surgery went well, but took more out of her then she thought it would. (She is almost 84 after all...) That and she's got slight pneumonia due to the fact that she almost always has some congestion and it hurts to cough right now.

What she had surgery for was to remove this odd lump on one of her kidneys that had doctors confused. They got about 90% of it and did more tests on it, since the original biopsy was 'inconclusive'.

Well, it turns out it's malignant and it's bladder cancer. On her kidney. I'm not sure exactly how that happened, but she'd had a few spots of bladder cancer years ago that were taken care of. I guess one of the cells got loose or something or backed up into the kidney and took root.

Anyhow, what this means is that she's got to go see an oncologist for a second opinion (she's been referred to one that everyone where she lives seems to really like and trust...) and she'll possibly have to have more surgery to remove the whole kidney at some point.

My mom is driving home this morning from MD because she's got a ton of work backpiled at her and dad's shop. She's hoping to head down again some time next week.

All I know is that I really wish I could at least stop by the hospital and give her a hug. I love her so much and times like this make me miss her even more.

I know it'll all work out ok, she is pretty healthy over all and a very strong person, but it's this in-between time that's got me worried and anxious. I'm going to take one of my vacation days the week of Thanksgiving and drive down to see her... maybe my brother will come along....
The picture is from when she said grace at our wedding last year.
Peace to all and, please, hug those you love and call those who are too far away to hug in person.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Family is so important. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Addey said...

Thank you so much! I'll take any and all positive energy I can get.