Monday, November 06, 2006

Caps to the Capitol


Just a quickie this morning. As some of you know, I sometimes crochet blankets for Project Linus http://www.projectlinus.org/index.shtml. I enjoy it because it is for kids in need and also because it's a national organization but the blankets stay local.
Well, I'm on a new charity project for the moment. My friend at work who also crochets told me about a project called Caps to the Capitol and sent me the link in today's headline. I did some investigation and Save the Children is a long-time, well managed group that helps kids both here at home as well as around the world. Knowing that, I've thrown myself into the project. They are asking knitters and crocheters across the country to make little caps and send them in. They will be compiled along with letters and delivered to the President in January. Their goal is to ask him to do more for the babies of the world. It amazed me the number of little ones that don't live just because they spend too much precious energy keeping warm to live.
Anyhow, check out the link to check out the info or if you feel the need to contribute. The caps pictured here I made in less than 2 hours between Thursday and Friday. I plan on making a handful more before shipping them out. (It's also a great, heart happy way to use up some odds and ends.)
Well, that's enough from me. As you know, I don't 'soap box' often, but occasionally feel the need. Peace to all and hug a child, they're all precious, no matter where they're born.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

If I finish all the Solstice knitting in time, I'm either going to work on some hats for that, or try a bear for the Mother Bear Project. http://www.motherbearproject.org/

Addey said...

Awww... That's another heart happy thing to do! The bears there were so cute. I might have to see about getting the crochet pattern to do some next year.