Monday, February 21, 2011

Presidential Heroes?

Well, it's President's day, and I'm supposed to be writing about heroes this month.
I'm just not into it today.  That's not to say that there haven't been some great presidents in the history of our country.  And I'm all for remembering two of the greatest ones of our early history, and I believe that both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln are two of the greatest men to lead this country.  Of course, I'm looking at them through the lens of history.  And also, let's face it, if the news media and technology of today existed back then, how wonderful would we really think they are?  I'm sure there are major skeletons on the closets of all of our founding fathers and political heroes of a bygone age.
But, I'd like to believe that they were overall good men.
I'd like to believe that about our current politicians.  I often wonder how different our views of our elected officials today would be if we didn't have the "access" and technology that we have today.  Would we be more or less impressed by them?  Would we feel like they were working more or less for us?  (Of course, most people these days, myself included, think that our elected officials aren't doing us any favors, but don't like any of our options.)
Yes, our presidents and elected leaders can be heroes, but more often than not, they are just mere humans like the rest of us.  Only they aren't.  They've had enough drive, vision and luck to end up being elected the leader of our wonderful nation.
I'm not too sure where I'm going with this.  I guess I'd like to say thank you to everyone who wants to serve their community, both at the very local and very national levels.  I just wish I felt like more of them really were of the common cloth and actually worked for me and my family and friends, not for themselves.  I don't really like many of them on either side of the aisle these days.  The whole thing seems to have sunk to the depths of high school bickering and cliques.  I wish I could wash my hands of the whole deal, but there really isn't any where else I'd rather live.

I'm rambling and probably going to get myself in trouble if I keep writing, so I'm going to put this disjointed ramble to and end.

Peace to all and may you have leaders you can believe in.

No comments: