Friday, February 18, 2011

Heroes for Babies!

You may have noticed something new over on the side bar there to the right.  Yep, I've decided to walk for the March for Babies this year.  (Formerly known as Walk America.)  My best friend Kat asked me to join her team this year.  How could I say no?  I remember how scary it was for me, just as her aunt, when Zoe was born 6 weeks early.  She was actually in pretty good health all things considered, but boy was it scary.  I can't even imagine what parents and family of micro-premie babies (those born around 24 weeks, about 3 months early!) go through.  I don't want any parent to ever have to know that.

So, yes, people who raise money for research and education are heroes to these little babies and their families.

But the bigger heroes, in my opinion at any rate, are the nurses and doctors dedicated to saving these tiny, precious lives, as well as the researchers trying to figure out why these things happen and how to help all moms have a healthy, full term pregnancy.
There must be so much joy and so much heartache working with such tiny, fragile lives.  There is all the stress of "normal" newborn issues, but only magnified a hundred times or more with their tiny charges.  There must be so much joy in watching their little ones get healthier and stronger, and so much heartache when it doesn't work that way and they leave the NICU, but not to go to their parent's home.

I was so lucky with my pregnancy with Boo.  It was 39 (I still say he was a week or so "early"...) of uneventful growing in my womb.  Sure, I had enough heartburn to share with 3 people and towards the end he wouldn't lay off my ribs, but those are minor issues.  I didn't have to be induced early like Kat due to toxemia and walk that fine line between letting the baby grow where they should and putting my life on the line and risking us both.  I didn't go into spontaneous pre-term labor too early, or even a little early.  I have a very healthy, very happy, growing like a weed little boy.  And for that I'm eternally thankful.

So, if you can help me out at all, even with $5, all the families and I thank you from the bottoms of our hearts. (You can just click on the badge over there...)  Or, if you're in the area and want to walk with us, please join us!

Peace to all and may your families all be healthy and happy.

(p.s. I know I owe you guys an actual update on the family, and it's coming, I just haven't had time or motivation to write it... I did get pictures posted though!)

No comments: