Monday, February 07, 2011

Local Heroes

Obviously I've fallen quite flat with this challenge....
Before I actually started this, I had a whole list in my head of heroes to showcase and things like that.  But, I didn't write any of it down and now that I'm in the middle of it, all is lost.  I guess I should have started this back when I first had the idea, but I wanted to wait until February.  The waiting made sense at the time, but now, not so much.

Anyhow, the next heroes up on my list are the "heroes next door".  I'm sure everyone knows at least one, even if they don't realize it.
I'm talking about the police and firefighters/EMS who keep our neighborhoods safe and take care of us in emergencies.
I really want to thank the volunteer firefighters and EMS.  They put their lives on the line, sometimes daily, for nothing other than the hope that they may get a thank you if they're lucky.
I was lucky enough in high school to have my best friend, a few other friends and my boyfriend all be junior volunteers with the local (well local here) companies.  I even knew a few in my own high school.  (Of course, I knew many of the full time members up here as well, since my boyfriend at the time is the son of the chief at the time...)
They're an interesting breed, I'll give them that much.  But, for their oddball traits, if you're lucky they really form a bit of a very coherent group.  I hesitate to call it "family" or "clan" because the ties are both deeper and far less deep than that.  They're drawn together for all the sundry reasons that they do this and are held together hopefully by something a bit more than the fact that if any one of them fails at their job, all of their lives could be on the line.  In some companies it's that way, others it's not.  I can't speak about paid companies, because those are few and far between around here and I've only see the volunteer side from an outsider and junior view.  I'd like to think that the men and women putting their lives on the line for me have at least some friendship for each other, if only because I know in my job liking who you're working with does make the job easier.  And if there's any job that needs to be made easier, theirs is one of them!

Anyhow, enough of that rambling.  I'm really not sure where I was going with that.

This past week has been filled with more crappy and icky weather.  This time, unfortunately, we got freezing rain, not just snow.  As much as I may complain about snow and get tired of it, I'd still take it any day of the week over ice.  I hate ice with a purple passion.  Of course, this made for a long week for Boo at day care, but it was going to happen anyhow, as Gak was going to open two days this week anyhow.

This weekend was fun.  Saturday after laundry Boo and I headed over to catch up with everyone at bowling. The kids had finished, but Kat was about to start.  So I joined her, Scott and Randy for a couple games before Randy and Scott went off on their own adventures and Kat, Zoe, Boo and I went to lunch.  It was great to bowl again.  I do enjoy it.

Saturday after Boo took a non-nap, we picked up Gak and the boys got their hair cut.  Yes, there are pictures, no, they're not posted.  Both of my boys clean up so nice!  Gak really, really needed the weed wacker and Boo was getting a might fuzzy around the edges and it was beginning to get into his eyes.  He looks so different with his hair all short and neat.  I kinda miss the mop-haired little boy look as it suits his personality, but he really is quite something all cleaned up.

Yesterday, with some minor car window adventures, we returned Boo's brand new shoes that broke after 1 day.  This is a whole other adventure.  Anyhow, after Andy fixed my window, at least temporarily, the boy and I headed down to Amma and PopPop's.  (When I suggested we wait until next weekend, Boo started crying and saying he wanted to go to Amma and PopPop's!!)  We had an enjoyable afternoon and I got most of the grocery shopping done at Trader Joe's.  I like that place.  I wish there was one closer.  (There's one a few miles from work, but in totally the wrong direction to make it convenient.)  I probably wouldn't do all my shopping there, but more.

Anyhow, here's hoping this week isn't so trying at work or with the weather.  I'm really ready for spring, which is good because it should only be a few more weeks away.

Peace to all and may you never need your local heroes.

No comments: