Thursday, July 07, 2011

Camping and Other Adventures

Well, I was going to write a nice, long, detailed post about the adventures we had this weekend.  Then I started editing photos and now it's after 9:00 already and I really should go crash.  I guess I'll just sum things up.  I will say, that other than a bit of misadventure on Sunday evening, everyone had a pretty good time.  (The misadventure being a really killer headache for Gak... and I mean an actual headache, not a figurative one.)

Saturday we got a slightly later start than I'd hoped, but still earlier than it could have been.  We went up to Crackerbarrel for brunch/breakfast and then I popped across the road to Cabella's to pick up some shorts that were on sale.  (On a side note, I picked up two pairs of size 14 shorts, which sizing for the rest of the world these days seems to be a size 12.  I just got rid of 2 pair of 18s of the same style short.  Yeah, it was about time I got new shorts...)  I also picked up a really awesome wolf t-shirt.  I didn't own any that fit any more and well... me being without a wolf shirt is unheard of.

Anyhow, back to the adventures... we made it up in short order with two very packed vehicles.  There was a bit of a mixup with the site (they had us getting in a day earlier...) but we were able to switch to a much, much shadier site.  (We had half decent neighbors this year, better in some ways than last...)  Kat, Steph and I set up the tents while Rachel and Katie took the younger kids to the playground and around for a bit.  Most of the kids went to the park later, but Boo and I stayed at camp.  There was a pretty amazing thunderstorm over night, luckily everything was covered fairly well and Verde didn't leak.  (The tent most of the kids were in did, but mostly because it doesn't have such a nice tarp bottom as the two newer ones...)

Sunday got off to a slow-ish start, but was good.  Pop and Betty along with Mary and two girls she used to baby sit came for the day.  After various breakfast adventures, we end up heading down to the park in shifts. Boo got to ride a few rides, but then we wandered around for a bit while some people went on bigger rides and he fell asleep.  (Thankfully!)


Sunday night was fireworks.  Originally Boo and Gak were going to stay back, but with Gak's horrible headache, I wasn't about to leave the boy there.  Fortunately he fell asleep in the car on the way there.  Unfortunately, he woke up in the middle and we didn't know it, so he wasn't too happy with us when we got back in the car.  (I'd debated waking him, but he was looking pretty sound asleep and can usually sleep through things like this...)

Monday got off to a good start.  I made breakfast for the kids as they woke up and then Zoe, Billy, Boo, Gak and I headed into the park as it opened.  By about 1:00 the kids were hungry (and I could tell Boo was just about done) so we headed back to the site to finish packing our car (everyone else was staying) and have some lunch.  We were on the road by 3:30 and Boo was asleep before we even left the campground.  We made a quick stop at Cabella's and Crackerbarrel again on the way home (since Gak had to work Saturday and he and Andy were coming up after Andy got off work...)  (The picture is from Sunday's breakfast, but whatever...)

All told, it was a good weekend.  There were moments of course, but they weren't very major compared to what they could have been.  Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves for the most part.  I can't wait for camping next month with just my boys.

Anyhow, I've posted a few pictures in here, the rest should be up on Flickr tomorrow.

Peace to all and may your adventures be good.

No comments: